Arri S super 16 conversion

Marty Hamrick

• Premium Member

There are two Arri-S Super 16mm/PL mount cameras in the US. Both where refurbished Arri S cameras in good condition. Cinematechnic acted as Van Diemens US agent for these conversions.

One has had a very sad life indeed. Purchased by a aspiring film maker to shoot a feature film in Arkansas it arrived late to the production was kicked about and seen hanging around strip clubs then was sold for post production money to a camera store and has slipped into disgrace and oblivion.

The second has shot TV commercials and car footage thundering thru the Southwest and lives in Chicago when not visiting Cinematechic for additional modifications.

If jorge@cinematechnic gets enough requests he will do the modification.

• Premium Member
There are two Arri-S Super 16mm/PL mount cameras in the US. Both where refurbished Arri S cameras in good condition. Cinematechnic acted as Van Diemens US agent for these conversions.

One has had a very sad life indeed. Purchased by a aspiring film maker to shoot a feature film in Arkansas it arrived late to the production was kicked about and seen hanging around strip clubs then was sold for post production money to a camera store and has slipped into disgrace and oblivion.

The second has shot TV commercials and car footage thundering thru the Southwest and lives in Chicago when not visiting Cinematechic for additional modifications.

If jorge@cinematechnic gets enough requests he will do the modification.

Hi,

I undestand another camera was sent to England, the camera got stripped down and spent many months 'sitting around'.

Van Diemen Ltd is in liquidation however the same directors are trading as Van Diemen Films Ltd.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Yes, There may be a third camera lurking about. The orginal conversions were done for the BBC by Van Diemens as crash cams. The view finders where not modified to present S-16.

Du-All added a Fiber optic screen to the second camera which I own . The difference in viewing from a fiber optic screen in an SR-EVO and the Ground Glass in the Arri-S was disturbing!

After the DU-All mod they were very close

I had visited the Van Diemen operation in 1999 and met the technical staff. They seemed capable, the Economic crash in 2000/2001 killed them

The technical folks have gone into busness and various parts and acessories can be had thru www.FilmCameraKit.Com.

The camera is really fun to shoot with a pistol grip sort of a poor mans A-minima

Is a nice compliment to an SR package

Like a Arri 2C was a nice match to a Arri BL package. Very practical two camera set up with interchangable lenses and acessories thats's how I use it.

• Premium Member
Yes, There may be a third camera lurking about. The orginal conversions were done for the BBC by Van Diemens as crash cams. The view finders where not modified to present S-16.

The camera is really fun to shoot with a pistol grip sort of a poor mans A-minima

Is a nice compliment to an SR package

Like a Arri 2C was a nice match to a Arri BL package. Very practical two camera set up with interchangable lenses and acessories thats's how I use it.

Hi,

I don't think the third one got finished!

Did you buy yours on Ebay, Jorge sold it then it came up again 18 months or so ago.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Actually, I tracked down Van Diemens and visited them while I was shooting in England and Europe for Discreet Logic. I wanted an Arri-S conversion to match a P+S Technic SR EVO re-furb that Jorge handled. I hate to say it but I brought VD to Jorges door :D . My camera was to be the first but another camera came thru which was needed more quickly and I thought -let them practive on it! I was lucky as we requested a number of mods after the first camera. Jorge had to make a number of modifications after the fact -when I received the camera back fron VD- the flange distance of the PL mount was whacked so far you could not focus more then two feet in front of the lens-so much for VD's QC. So after a lot of "massage" on Jorges part all problems where resolved. He never leaves you holding the bag.