Cosmic rays and CCD

Niklas

I've heard that transporting a DV-camera by airplane might create hot or dead pixels in the CCD chip due to cosmic rays. I'm going to travel from Sweden to California with a Sony DXC-D30P/DSR-1P camera. Does anybody know how common this problem is?

Also, x-raying a DV-camera shouldn't be a problem?

Niklas

• Premium Member
I've heard that transporting a DV-camera by airplane might create hot or dead pixels in the CCD chip due to cosmic rays. I'm going to travel from Sweden to California with a Sony DXC-D30P/DSR-1P camera. Does anybody know how common this problem is?

Niklas

The only thing,

I ve ever heard wich was true, was that the old tube cameras have this problem when changing latitudes and longitudes,

just because of Earth's magnetic fields.And some times they needed calibration.

Never heard of such thing though about CCD's.Inside the Earth's atmosphere.

Only this is common in satelites that are in the outer space.

There it has been a huge issue, about cosmic rays and ccd's.

http://www.photonics.com/XQ/ASP/url.readar.../QX/readart.htm

Dimitrios Koukas

A friend of mine told me that JVC had taken 1000 cameras and shipped by air and boat, and the ones in the air had more destroyed pixels in them. Could be an urban legend though, at least according to Sony Stockholm ;)

I guess the risk is pretty small, even though the chance of cosmic rays theoretically is higher when you're 10 000 meters up in the air. Then the 11 year sun spot cycles... where sun winds "blow away" cosmis rays, resulting in different amount of cosmis rays depending on year... oh well, enough :)

• Premium Member
A friend of mine told me that JVC had taken 1000 cameras and shipped by air and boat, and the ones in the air had more destroyed pixels in them. Could be an urban legend though, at least according to Sony Stockholm ;)

Hi,

HD cameras have been damaged in the mountains and shooting from the air. It's not that common, it can happen. If an HD camera can be damaged then all cameras are at risk.

Stephen

• Premium Member

HD cameras are more likely to be damaged because they have more pixels on the imager, but this is very very rare. I think last year alone I shipped at least 100 cameras (most of them HD cameras) by air all over the world, and as far as I know, nothing went wrong. The most important thing is to put the camera in the correct case, usually a thermodyne camera case works best.

• Premium Member

Niklas

You asked the same questions in your last thread, Dude:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...?showtopic=9218

Did you not hear what you were hoping to hear?