cold photo: what filters and fuji or kodak material?

Ernesto Martínez Bucio

• Premium Member
Hi, i'm new in this as you see. i will be glad to know what filters can i use to have a cold photo with blue or green color and what kind of material is better to have this colors in my short film. i knew that fuji is better, but i'm not sure...

thanks

Ernesto,

First do a shoot test whetever u do or try,

One thing that will have your pictures look ''cold'', is use Tungsten film, with daylight lights.

U can use one 81EF filter on the lens to keep some of the red hue in your negative, but it will look blue.

Another thing u can do, is if you are using only artificial light and no daylight/sunlight at all, is to put some cine gels on the lights

with the colour you like. for example some forest green gels, full or half CTB gels, on Tungsten lights also.

What u want excactly though comes after testing.

I was used to load cinema film on still cameras and then have them proccessed on a film lab.

This can save u a lot of time and money, but I am not sure if there is any lab on your location that will do this.

Dimitrios Kouikas

• Premium Member

First of all, shoot subjects that are blue-ish to begin with.

As to tinting the image bluer overall, that can be done in many ways: blue filters, blue gels on lights, timing it blue in post, shooting tungsten-balanced stock in daylight with no or partial orange correction filters, etc.

You can make either Kodak or Fuji bluer or greener with lighting, filters, etc.