Direct to Hard Drive

Jeremy

Has anyone tried the direct-to-harddrive options that exist for the DVX100A, like Quickstream ? It's supposed to bypass the compression that needs to be done to get it onto a tape, and I know there's a SFX heavy ad house here in KC that uses it, but I haven't had a chance to ask about it.

Anyone have any experiences with it. Does it look any different?

• 3 months later...

I don't have a Pana 100B yet but I do shoot Direct to Hard Drive from a GL2...I use a NNovia Quik Capture.

I think it works fine. We did have to send it in at one point to update the Firmware but I think it works very well. it saves me a lot of time by not neededing to swap tapes out after 60 minutes or capturing projects from tape. I can download clips quickly to the desktop, import them into Final Cut Pro and start editing right away. I think capturing Direct to HD is worth it weight in Gold.Final Cut warns me that the file type would need to be converted to a more useable form of DV through Media Manager but I never do and it still looks fine.

Hope this helps.

JB

Going direct to HD (I do it now somewhat indirectly via DVRack) will not circumvent compression. HD systems like Quickstream create a DV file ready for use in your NLE - which would have DV compression already applied. The data that goes to tape and what comes out of the firewire connection are the same.