Right Crew for the Sony HDW-F900

Maestro

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

I am a music Producer, (not Film/Video Professional)

currently in the pre-producion stages of a project

that will utilize 2-Sony HDW-F900's as my camera of choice.

The shoot, caprturing just raw footage to be edited in the U.S

(Musicians performing in 18th century period costumes) will take place in a

Venezian Palazzi. (Italy)

My question is: when considering local Cameramen, DP and Director of lighting,

will lack of experience in HD or working with the HDW-F900 for the first time

be a major problem for a project budgeted around just 2 days of shooting?

In other words, should I also consider hiring a technician just for the cameras as

to avoid spending valuable creative time on

learning curves?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies... makes sense.

Another quick question(s) regarding this "Period Music Performance shoot"...if you don't mind.... If I am just capturing raw footage, (sound is just for reference), as we are pre-recording the audio in our studio and mixing in 5.1...

From strictly a Visual aspect...

(1) Am I missing anyone when I mention the following crew line-up?

(2) Is an Art/set director necesary or will/should the DP want to have control over the set features?

CRew

DP

Dir. Lighting

Makeup/Hair

1 Handicam Oper. (on the F900)

1 Crane Oper. (2nd f900)

Sound/Just for ref.

Thanks

Very Much

• Premium Member
Thanks for the replies... makes sense.

Another quick question(s) regarding this "Period Music Performance shoot"...if you don't mind.... If I am just capturing raw footage, (sound is just for reference), as we are pre-recording the audio in our studio and mixing in 5.1...

From strictly a Visual aspect...

(1) Am I missing anyone when I mention the following crew line-up?

(2) Is an Art/set director necesary or will/should the DP want to have control over the set features?

CRew

DP

Dir. Lighting

Makeup/Hair

1 Handicam Oper. (on the F900)

1 Crane Oper. (2nd f900)

Sound/Just for ref.

Thanks

Very Much

Have you hired a director? This sounds like a decently complicated production so if you plan on directing yourself I'd say you're asking for trouble.

Have you hired a director? This sounds like a decently complicated production so if you plan on directing yourself I'd say you're asking for trouble.

Thanks for the reply....

I will not be directing as I have no experience. However, my thoughts were, since what I am trying to accomplish is to capture a serious of unscripted but beautiful musical shots featuring the musicians in Period costumes... I thought I would give the DP total control over the creative aspect of how the shots would take place.

I could be wrong in my process and would love to understand further...

Thanks

It sounds like your footage will be shot in a real location as opposed to a stage. I would recommend.

1 DP

2 Operators

1 Video Tech Assistant cameraman

1 Gaffer

1 Electrician

1 Key Grip

1 Grip

1 Sound man

1 Make-up person

1 Art Director (perhaps and assistant)

As much as I think DP know what?s going on in this case you need a real director. You can go with a Director/Cameraman perhaps is the way to go. But really need someone with directing experience on board.

• Premium Member
As much as I think DP know what?s going on in this case you need a real director. You can go with a Director/Cameraman perhaps is the way to go. But really need someone with directing experience on board.

Sì Bob è corretto. Sarebbe sfavorevole spendere tutti i soldi per fare una produzione piacevole e per non avere qualcuno che potrebbe tirarlo insieme tutta. Il direttore è la prima persona da assumere, nel mio parere. Se soltanto poteste trovare uno chi ha parlato italiano...

Oh... sorry... Did I just bust out into a bunch of Italy-talk? Man... that's embarrassing. What did you say your budget was?

B)

• Premium Member
Thanks for the reply....

I will not be directing as I have no experience. However, my thoughts were, since what I am trying to accomplish is to capture a serious of unscripted but beautiful musical shots featuring the musicians in Period costumes... I thought I would give the DP total control over the creative aspect of how the shots would take place.

I could be wrong in my process and would love to understand further...

Thanks

I would suggest the experienced director/cinematographer in HD among with a minimum crew that bob have allready suggested.

Dimitrios Koukas

Thanks very much for all the great suggestions...

I have a better understanding now of the Crew I will require. I will definately add the additional personal starting with a Director who, I assume will make his or her own crew/equipment requests. Not to mention I still have to deal with permits etc...In a different Country. As a Music Producer both financing and originizing this project, I am now taking a crash course in HD production. My main objective is to hire the right "Creative Production Talent" for the job.

I would greatly appreciate any links or names of any Northern Italian resources.

Thank You, once again.

• Premium Member
Thanks very much for all the great suggestions...

I have a better understanding now of the Crew I will require. I will definately add the additional personal starting with a Director who, I assume will make his or her own crew/equipment requests. Not to mention I still have to deal with permits etc...In a different Country. As a Music Producer both financing and originizing this project, I am now taking a crash course in HD production. My main objective is to hire the right "Creative Production Talent" for the job.

I would greatly appreciate any links or names of any Northern Italian resources.

Thank You, once again.

One more thing...

Is this a concert with an audience that will be performed whether or not you are there to shoot it OR... are they playing there at your behest, just for YOUR project?

It makes a big difference in how you crew/shoot it.

One more thing...

Is this a concert with an audience that will be performed whether or not you are there to shoot it OR... are they playing there at your behest, just for YOUR project?

It makes a big difference in how you crew/shoot it.

This would be a DVD of a simulated concert "intimate setting"... musicians will play to a pre-recorded multitrack. I would go as far as to say it will be more of a music film/video style compilation of the tunes in a Baroque Palazzi. I plan on purchasing HD Stock footage of Venice to enhance the visuals.

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&h...zzonico&spell=1

The Musical Group: www.novaeramusic.com

Thanks...

• Premium Member
This would be a DVD of a simulated concert "intimate setting"... musicians will play to a pre-recorded multitrack. I would go as far as to say it will be more of a music film/video style compilation of the tunes in a Baroque Palazzi. I plan on purchasing HD Stock footage of Venice to enhance the visuals.

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&h...zzonico&spell=1

The Musical Group: www.novaeramusic.com

Thanks...

Make sure to watch "Barry Lyndon" before you start.

Make sure to watch "Barry Lyndon" before you start.

Funny you should mention this...Barry Lyndon has to be one of the most visually stunning Movies I have ever seen... every shot was perfectly set! In fact I was going to use this DVD along with a few others for colour and tone as a refference for the Director and DP.

Thanks...