More ? on the PS Technik 35 Pro & Mini

Matt Short

I want to purchase the Mini for a feature but, I don't have a DV camera yet. Which DV camera is best for the mini? I'm assuming the AG-DVX100A, since its the closest to a film-look without it. Also, I have a BetaSP camera that only shoots 4:3. Will the Pro35 work with this?

My Betacam is 2/3" but, what about the 4:3 aspect ratio shooting with film lenses? Will it affect the image?

It'll work fine. But realize that the Pro35 and the Mini35 are two very different products and are not interchangeable. I don't know what model Betacam you have, but it's probably worth used what the Mini35 is worth new (about $6k). The Pro35 is aroun $24k, so it's more of a rental item.

• Premium Member

If you put a normal spherical 35mm cine lens on the P&S Technik and your camera is 4:3, the image stays 4:3 (1.33 : 1). If you put a 2X anamorphic 35mm cine lens on the P&S Technik adaptor, then the 4:3 image will have a 2X squeeze, which when unsqueezed into a letterboxed image will be 2.66 : 1.

The P&S Technik doesn't really solve the problem of squeezing a 16:9 (1.78 : 1) image onto a 4:3 CCD since there are no 35mm cine lenses with a 1.33X squeeze.

• Premium Member

Hi,

In your position I'd put anamorphic 2x-squeeze lenses on the Pro35. That way, you can get a 2.35:1 frame out of your Betacam without losing too much resolution.

Would that the damn thing would fit mine. Curses.

Phil

I contacted the rental house and they have the Pro35 for $275 a day. I'm renting it over the weekend to test. I'm trying to achieve a true film quality look. What lenses (Cooke Primes T2.0 14mm-135mm) would you recommend to provide a wide range of testing? Lenses rent for $150 each so, I'm getting 4. I'm shooting every possible scenario I can think of or have time for. I'm also getting a Matte Box w/ filters (85's, ND's, Pro-mist, Fogs, Diff's, DF's, LC's,Corals, Mitchell Diff's, Tobacco, Tiffen Grads, Diopters, LLD).

Matt. spread your lens choices out through the range to get a sense of their relative field of view. Look into the archives from last summer for my notes on the Pro35. Also, that's a big chunk of change to spend on a test. I'm sure if you ask the rental house will be happy to let you come in with your camera to test in their facility for a few hours without charging you anything. Just tuck in a corner out of the way. This is a standard practice in the industry. Then rent based on what you learn from this.

• 2 weeks later...