ALCS 16-Speed Crystal Controller for CP16R

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member

I have plans of developing a version of my graphical user interface 16-speed controller which could be user installed into the CP16R and replaces all the original camera electronics except the electric motor itself (the original CP16R electric motor is of special size and replacing it would make the system too expensive).

Would anyone be interested in ordering this type of 16-speed crystal sync electronics for their non-working CP16R camera?

I am able to finish the design if at least two kits are ordered so that I know that it is worth it to use lots of time and money to complete it. If nothing is ordered, the project will not advance further and I will concentrate on other projects instead.

The 16-speed crystal sync kit costs 1100usd + shipping and can be user installed into the camera body. The first kits are possible to ship in November2022 if at least two is ordered in August2022.

The graphical user interface is similar style than in my Eclair ACL crystal motor. It allows setting the film length in magazine by 1 meter accuracy, setting two user speed presets and has footage counters and a take limiter feature which allows shooting takes of predetermined maximum length. All the counters are in Meters for technical reasons. One moves in the menu and changes settings by moving the highlight (the white box which in the image is over the "mem" setting) using a selector knob.

52204326077_5c5f45202e_h.jpg

the planned speed presets of the 16-speed controller. The two User Presets can be set to anything within the range the camera can handle so only the most used speeds need a separate preset (adding too many presets into the menu makes the camera slow to use so the 16 presets is about the maximum practical amount) :

User1   (can be set by the user to anything within the range the camera can handle in 1/1000fps increments)

User2  (can be set by the user to anything within the range the camera can handle in 1/1000fps increments)

3.00 fps or 4.00fps  (depending on the lowest accurate sync speed the camera can handle)

6.00 fps

12.00 fps

16.00 fps

20.00 fps

22.00 fps

23.976 fps

24.00 fps

25.00 fps

29.976 fps

33.333 fps

40.000 fps

44.000 fps      (the approximate top speed these cameras can handle without damages as far as I know)

Ext Speed  (enables external speed input. one can use a specially made external controller for additional speeds or speed ramps)

• Premium Member

It looks like this 16-speed CP16R system will likely be finished in the near future. I will still need to think again if it will be user installed or only available from service technicians, but I think there is a good chance of getting it eventually finished and available for at least some CP16R users around the World ? 

If you are looking for a simpler and more affordable system which will definitely be user installable, check out my other thread for a single-speed CP16R controller which has modular additional features. It will be available in September or October 2022   https://cinematography.com/index.php?/forums/topic/94059-alcs-single-speed-crystal-controller-for-cp16r/

Want to support the project? I am selling affordable 4-speed crystal stabilized led stroboscope lights which are available immediately and help collecting more funding for the development work. Send me a DM if interested in ordering one ?  https://cinematography.com/index.php?/forums/topic/93179-for-sale-crystal-stabilized-stroboscope-lights-for-testing-movie-cameras/#comment-562616

• Premium Member

I scheduled this 16-speed CP16R project to December2022 as that is the only month in the near future I could have any time to assemble these. 

If the project moves forward, a single batch is made as I am not able to keep up the infrastructure to manufacture these systems one at a time for multiple years. The batch size can be from 3 to 10 kits. Smaller batch is not possible to make and larger batch would cost me too much in parts stocking.

The single batch will realize IF THERE IS AT LEAST THREE ORDERS BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2022. A deposit of 200usd is needed in November if it is certain that the three or more orders are secured so that I can start designing the boards and still have time to complete them... The rest of the money is charged when the final product is shipped.  

If not getting enough orders before the October 1st, the time window for making these closes and I will know there is no need for this kind of system so that I can abandon it and use the time and money on other projects (of which there are many and I will only work on ones which are financially possible to make, getting at least my own money back from them so that I can start a next one and still being able to buy food and gas)  . I will make one or two batches of the Single-Speed C16R crystal kit in any case so that 1-speed product would still be available even if this 16-speed one does not work out ?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/1/2022 at 4:17 PM, aapo lettinen said:

I scheduled this 16-speed CP16R project to December2022 as that is the only month in the near future I could have any time to assemble these. 

If the project moves forward, a single batch is made as I am not able to keep up the infrastructure to manufacture these systems one at a time for multiple years. The batch size can be from 3 to 10 kits. Smaller batch is not possible to make and larger batch would cost me too much in parts stocking.

The single batch will realize IF THERE IS AT LEAST THREE ORDERS BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2022. A deposit of 200usd is needed in November if it is certain that the three or more orders are secured so that I can start designing the boards and still have time to complete them... The rest of the money is charged when the final product is shipped.  

If not getting enough orders before the October 1st, the time window for making these closes and I will know there is no need for this kind of system so that I can abandon it and use the time and money on other projects (of which there are many and I will only work on ones which are financially possible to make, getting at least my own money back from them so that I can start a next one and still being able to buy food and gas)  . I will make one or two batches of the Single-Speed C16R crystal kit in any case so that 1-speed product would still be available even if this 16-speed one does not work out ?

The CP16R  16-speed project is CANCELLED due to no demand.

------------------

I will use the time and money for developing accessories for my cp16r 1-speed controller and the Eclair ACL.

My 1-speed crystal controller for the CP16R is already available for CP16R if anyone has a camera which needs to be restored back to use. The 1-speed system can be extended with additional boards and accessories to get a very feature rich crystal control system for the CP16 cameras and is relatively affordable.