Z1 vs Varicam

Abraham Cherian

• 3 weeks later...
Looks realy nice. Is that a Z1 with some sort of 35mm adapter or a 750?

Hi, and sorry for the delay with my reply -

This was an all greenscreen project, the backdrops are all 3D. We shot with HDR-Z1, without any adapters or filters. The additional DOF was done in post, by blurring the backgrounds (and, in some cases, selectively blurring the FG too).

Edited by Eki Halkka

• Premium Member
Doesn't it seem odd to shoot in HDV, master in SD (PAL), and the uprez back to HD again?

It sounds like you're saying that the color-subsampling of HDV is fine... as long as you only want to use it for SD projects.

Hi,

I remember David Cox saying that HDV was good for SD Blue Screens!

Stephen

Doesn't it seem odd to shoot in HDV, master in SD (PAL), and the uprez back to HD again?

We mastered at 720p in-house, but the stuff that went to TV channels for broadcast was SD-PAL.

We could have worked directly in SD resolution for the post (as we did with our next vid - which is still unreleased), but the band wanted to add a 720p HD wmv file to their DVD.

The reason for using 720 instead of 1080 as the resolution of choice was twofold: first of all, we were able to slightly zoom in the images without making it look too different from the rest of the footage, second of all, 720 has half less pixels to render and store etc. than 1080.

The video wasn't originally intended to be shown in 1080 HD, we made the blowup just for HDFEST. A friend of mine saw it in LA screening, and said that some of the shots did look a little soft, but most were surprisingly OK even in the big screen - would have been cool to see it like that ;-)

Edit: added a little to the above sentence

It sounds like you're saying that the color-subsampling of HDV is fine... as long as you only want to use it for SD projects.

After being scaled to SD resolution, HDV has better color sampling than i.e. DigiBeta - it's basicly equal to 4:4:4 for NTSC, and 4:3,75:3,75 for PAL.

There are some (very) minor artifacts visible after scaling, which can be filtered out to the extent of being nonexistant.

With bluescreen, i wouldn't really suggest using HDV on anything higher than SD - but with greenscreen, one can get decent results even at full 1080 HD resolution, if everything goes more or less perfectly all the way from the shoot to post.

When scaled to 720 HD in post, there's already more leeway - the effective color sampling should be close to 4:2:2.

Edited by Eki Halkka