Arriflex 16s Camera loop size?

I have a working Arri 16s camera that for some odd reason does not have the lines that help you form the proper loop size when loading the camera.  Every tutorial online or manual I've seen simply says "follow the white lines", but mine doesn't have those.  Not even faded lines, its completely blank.

Does anyone happen to know the proper loop sizes for loading this camera?  I think the other cameras I've loaded happen to be 7 frames above and 6 frames below but I wasn't sure if this camera is different.

Thanks for your help.

• Premium Member

To count perforation holes is abstract, unpractical. Make the lower loop as large as possible so that the stock just fails to touch the body. The upper one mustn’t be too tight but can be too large. Try to make the film fall into the gate center, so to speak.

• Premium Member

Yes I agree, counting perfs is impractical.

If you’re unsure, print out the threading diagram and keep it in the camera case. But it’s really not too tricky, just make sure the lower loop is as long as possible without touching the body, and the top loop isn’t too small, as Simon said. Inch the movement over to check, as the loop changes size a little during the pulldown. 

If the lower loop is too small it will trip the buckle switch.

E524053D-3195-4A06-B6F5-15BAD584B441.jpeg.5ef81c5ac5b5fc9f22fd764b673e125e.jpeg

53759C5B-22B4-4465-BB8B-920BE4D3ABBF.jpeg.80caed77238825ce00199913abfa35a4.jpeg

Thanks for the replies, Simon and Dom.  Hopefully it'll work out fine.  I'm perhaps overly cautious because I've lost some footage to lost loop in an Eclair NPR, after which I was advised by a camera technician to be very particular about the loop sizes.  The next reel  was very carefully loaded and it seemed to work better.

I agree, counting the frames is a precise and maybe even asinine activity.  It would be such a relief if the Arri isn't as quirky in the same regard.  

Wish me luck!