Meet Nicholas Coyle | Film scanning technician, filmmaker, and preservationist...can the old Bolex still compete?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Meet Nicholas Coyle | Film scanning technician, filmmaker, and preservationist – SHOUTOUT COLORADO

c-PersonalNicholasCoyle__IMG4045_1647628

c-NicholasCoyle__10418547357443558654291

Internet photos - Fair Use

Beautiful scan studio! But he should probably move up from the Bolex though.

What do you film devotees think? Can the old Bolex still compete?

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say I've use this service for several of my film scans and it is unmatched in quality and price! I receive a 6K HDR raw Prores 4444 scan with an amazing level of dynamic range. It is especially useful for reversal scans!

I also wanted to let you know that Nicholas has become Nicki Coyle. This is a link to her website for more information about scanning.

https://thenegative.space/

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Adam. Going trans? I guess it is the rage now!

IMG_5827.JPG?format=500w

Negative Space Photo

Nicki has a beautful website. Still crazy for Bolex I see.

I'm glad your scans worked out for you. I wish I could get scans like that, but having a few million feet of film to scan precludes it with my budget. 

I hope to work on an old film from 1931 called Halloween Hallucinations shortly. All I got is an old Retroscan to work with. But it is better than projecting off the wall and copying with the video camera! I had hopes of getting a Baby Kinetta, but I think I'm a little late. The guy that runs the biz is pretty old and I'm afraid he has slowed down too much. I'm getting old myself, so know the slowdown effect firsthand...I'm just not that old yet.

Well, good luck with your films and put up a few clips sometimes.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.