portable light, int. train

Guest Erik

Guest Erik

hi, I'd like to grab a shot on the quick aboard a passenger train at some point, and was thinking that a single light in/near the lap of the passenger in question might work out all right if placed properly (shooting in B&W). Maybe this is a fool's errand, but if anyone can give me pointers on either easy to stow portable lights (has anyone used those alleged 1million candlepower lights? the one I got seems crap), or anything else that might be helpful. No lectures about permits, please. ;)

Erik

There's this 50W work light that runs off of car batteries, I use it for interior car shots (plugging it into a cigarette socket). If you're willing to shoot at a pretty open stop that can do the job, just run it off of any 12V source. If you need more buy two of them and place them side by side. I don't put the metal grill on them to make them more portable.

I've actually been surprised sometimes what I can get away with in terms of stealing shots. I've stolen footage in post 911 New York at the busiest transit points, just following my subject with my Arri, standing on the stairwells, etc. As long as you or better yet an assistant (which I never had most of the time) keeps an eye out for cops and transit people (using semi-coded language helps - you don't want a cop to hear your AC blurt out loud "They're coming!") and it doesn't look like you're conspiring to blow up the train, you're okay. If someone appears who might be an official, just play it cool (train your entourage not to look at them like "oh shoot, did they see that?") and act like you were just having some fun with your friends, like you belong there and were simply horsing around. The moment they get the idea you're a professional crew trying to sneak in without a permit, they'll ream you.

The one big problem is that when you steal shots you're relegated to handheld in most cases. Tripods ALWAYS invite attention from security personel, while handheld stuff you can get away with. Many people think I'm taking still pictures with my Arri. Suits me fine :)

- G.

Disguise one of your crew as an Art Student, then they can be carrying foamcore, etc. :D

-Sam

(Come to think of it, if it's a low budget indie, one of your crew probably IS an Art student !)

(has anyone used those alleged 1million candlepower lights? the one I got seems crap),

I've used things like that & made it work, but I hear the Beam candlepower to Footcandle exchange rate is not as good as it was this time last year :(

You could use Mini-Flo or Micro-Flo

-Sam

Guest Erik

thanks guys - I'm going handheld with a K3, so my cover story on the train is "amateur hour on route to a shoot".

Erik

look for a AC power outlet, here in Belgium trains have them for laptop users and for the cleaning personnel. Just don't kook up a 2k Blonde, usually these outlets are only 8amps.

I would also suggest 12v kinoflo and/or sunguns... Kinoflo seems better because they don't heat up that much and when you have to hide them...

Stijn

Guest Erik

good one stijn - I haven't been on the USA rails in a while and they may have outlets in the new cars now.

thanks

Erik

• Premium Member

Um, how about available light? You can shoot just about anything with 500 ASA these days, even slower if it's daytime. A light will just attract attention. 7218 pushed one stop would get you an exposure at very low light levels.

I shoot a ton of ENG Betacam at roughly 500-640 ASA, and hardly ever need a light for exposure -- just fill for aesthetics, if needed. I recently shot a story on the exhibit at LA's Natural History Museum (LA: light/motion/dreams -- great exhibit, go see it if you're here). Very low light levels, shooting with a D-30 at 500 ASA and +6db gain (one extra stop of exposure), I was shooting anywhere between f1.8 and f4 depending on the shot. Looked great.

Guest Erik

available light at night? Not sure what's available, but it could be pretty weak. I'm taking a test ride next week with a meter and seeing what there is... also, I'm shooting in B&W, not aware of any 500 speed, unless you're suggesting printing in BW?

Erik

• Premium Member

I originally missed the part where you said you were shooting in B&W. But shooting color neg and printing in B&W IS an option in that case.

But let me get this straight -- you're shooting someone sitting on a real moving train at night. What exactly do you hope to see? It sounds to me like someone sitting in a chair, perhaps a little of the train interior, and MAYBE some moving lights out the window. That sounds like the perfect opportunity for poor-man's process. All you need is a seat that looks like it could be from a train (prop rental), a piece of plexiglass for a window, and some out of focus highlights moving in the BG (all this framed fairly tight). Then light it any way you want. Or, frame out the window and add some strobing light onto the actor's face from the window side. In the edit add some train sound effects and open the scene with an exterior shot of a moving train.

But if you really need to shoot on a real train, you can also try those battery powered fluorescent tubes, the kind made to be put under cabinets. Get a few of them and place them wherever you like; one on the seatback in front of the actor and maybe one directly overhead. They're small and lightweight and easy to stash in a backpack.

Or, you could have your actor hold real still and undercrank the camera to get a little more exposure. You have to hold the camera very still (probably a tripod) and lights outside will move faster, but sometimes trains go slow when they're near a stop.

Guest Erik

Hi Michael:

Good idea on the tubes - I'll check out Home Depot for them. Also I think undercranking would work well here too, I forgot about that old chestnut. Thanks!

re: poor man's process - that's actually plan A, but in case the pieces don't fall into place, (the prop rental scene where I am is shaky) I want to scope out the possibilities of using a real train.

thanks

Erik