Tisch Film/TV dept.

Guest JohnFMIV

Guest JohnFMIV

Originally, I wanted to direct. But after my first year at Tisch, I realized that's what EVERYBODY wants to do. I've always been about the image rather than the story. Also, I don't write, I don't pretend I can write, I just can't write--most first time directors only get a shot at directing because they come packaged with a script (right?).

The question is: should I focus on cinematography? The problem is, there is so much one needs to learn/know in order to be a great DP, I'm not sure if I can.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I'm training to be a DP at the moment. All I can say is, though I still don't earn a living by being a DP yet I know I will eventually. I know it sounds corny but I can't imagine doing or being anything else. I think that a lot of my fellow cinematographers at my film school feel the same way.

If you haven't been DP on a short yet I would suggest that you do so. If by the end of the shoot you still don't know then maybe it's not for you, if however, you feel like the experience was the 'better than sex' ;-) as a particularly obsessive, talented and successful DP friend of mine put it, then you've hit pay dirt and found your calling. The rest is just 'time spent'...

I truly hope I'm not being too simplistic!..I suppose what I am trying to say is that I think 'Either you are or you're not.' but then I'm only a lowly student for the moment.

Any advice from the more experienced working members?...