Arri's new impression filters

Thought I would share this, its a very interesting new product from Arri meant to be thrown on the back of the signature primes.

https://www.arri.com/en/camera-systems/cine-lenses/impression-filters?fbclid=IwAR3nr23nZQa02wQQ1fg1uP_NZ7OOqCWrJ-QPzqLc7DyUX-su36Duy6s-Cjs#accordion-308342

Fun to see stuff like this, makes sense with how much of a craze lens tuning has been these past couple years. Nice to have a range of strengths though that you can decided on on set as opposed to being locked into one strength. Oddly enough the Alexa mini was not included as being compatible with them, while the large format cameras, classic and SXT are.

Hi there, Chase from ARRI here. The new Impression V Filters are unfortunately not compatible with the MINI and AMIRA due to clearance issues with the LPL Mount on those cameras. They are fully compatible with the ALEXA 35, ALEXA MINI LF, all full size ALEXA's (Classic, XT, SXT) as well as the ALEXA LF, and the ALEXA 65. If anyone has questions about them at all I would be happy to answer them. We will have these filters to show at our booth at NAB!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is really cool, really well done. 

I think I agree with Phil that the Helios lenses have the look of the positive diopters. And I suppose the trioplan lenses have the bubble look of the negative diopters. 

But where would we say vintage "speed" lenses like Speed Panchros, Baltars, Cine-Xenons, Zeiss standard speeds, Lomo standard speeds, etc. etc. all fit into the equation?

I wonder if third parties are going to start making similar products for consumers, for instance for Nikon to E mount....

We (ARRI) have applied for a special patent related to the optical design of the positive Impression V Filters as what's unique about these behind the lens filters compared to others is that the positive Impression V Filters preserve the lens barrel scale and do not require shimming when used at T1.8 (up till about T4). This is unheard of and very much appreciated from the feedback of 1st AC's and Rental Houses alike.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 11:53 PM, Chase Hagen said:

We (ARRI) have applied for a special patent related to the optical design of the positive Impression V Filters as what's unique about these behind the lens filters compared to others is that the positive Impression V Filters preserve the lens barrel scale and do not require shimming when used at T1.8 (up till about T4). This is unheard of and very much appreciated from the feedback of 1st AC's and Rental Houses alike.

this is the cool bit! I do feel you guys did a great job and Art did a great job explaining things BUT... 

I honestly think if we (or anyone I know)  are using the negative set I'd take a 2nd mount shimmed to work rather than shim a load of lenses.. 

• Like 1

Yes that is definitely a good idea - that is what ARRI Rental said they already plan on doing (shimming a mount) rather than shimming each lens. Just need to be careful to mark the LPL mount that is shimmed quite obviously of course!

Edited by Chase Hagen