important question!!

Robert Glenn

• Premium Member

you pronounce "angénieux" ! :lol:

Thing is the sound "eu" is very difficult - if not impossible - to pronounce in english...

As well as for "an" actually...

I think that if you pronounce "an-gee-new", you have a chance be to be understood... but I'm afraid there are two diphtongs in this word that english people cannot pronounce.

ãzenjø is the international phonetical writing... does it help ?

you pronounce "angénieux" ! :lol:

Thing is the sound "eu" is very difficult - if not impossible - to pronounce in english...

As well as for "an" actually...

I think that if you pronounce "an-gee-new", you have a chance be to be understood... but I'm afraid there are two diphtongs in this word that english people cannot pronounce.

ãzenjø is the international phonetical writing... does it help ?

Hmm I think you've got me on to it, although the phonetical spelling's thrown me off! I have been pronouncing it:

'on'- 'zjeh' (think the first sound in the name Georges or Jaques) - 'neeyo' or just sortof 'no' like in bordEAUX.

You're the one I was hoping would help me out with this :lol:

• Premium Member

Sorry about that ! I sware I'm not being snobish or anything but it's true these diphtongs don't exist in english...

listen to this I recorded it for you and posted it on my site...

"Angénieux"

... and have tried volonteerly to pronouce it slowly, so that the pronounciation is good, but a bit exagerated... If you can say it a bit faster... You 've got it !

Sorry about that ! I sware I'm not being snobish or anything but it's true these diphtongs don't exist in english...

listen to this I recorded it for you and posted it on my site...

"Angénieux"

... and have tried volonteerly to pronouce it slowly, so that the pronounciation is good, but a bit exagerated... If you can say it a bit faster... You 've got it !

Right on Laurent! This has bothered me ever since I researched their lenses(i'm sure I'm not the only one). You'd hear me pronounce it 5 different ways, just never could decide on the proper way, and I"m a francophile so it was well.. irritating

Merci beaucoup!

Edited by RobertNC

• Premium Member
I reckon I'm amazed how even 10 years old english/american children speak so good english, compared to me ! :lol:

It all depends on what you learn Before ten Years that counts. I have had many french lessons and still bring tears to the eyes of the francophones at work. BTW, I did listen to your pronouciation, thanks, I was pronocing the last sylable as G_no, but it is more a You, like the french word for eyes.

• Premium Member

it is exactly like yeux the french for "eyes", but it defenetly doesn't sound like you... The thing is that sounds one doesn't you use in its language, one doesn't hear well... It's like if it was lost because it's not used...

This is why we occidental people have so much problem with oriental languages for instance.

• Premium Member
it is exactly like yeux the french for "eyes", but it defenetly doesn't sound like you... The thing is that sounds one doesn't you use in its language, one doesn't hear well... It's like if it was lost because it's not used...

I am sure that is why every time I came back from my French lessons and tried to speak French, my co-workers would switch to using english. I know that I DID pass the test for reading french at the beginers level, but totaly failed the speaking test.

Guest david west

i always thought that it was pronounced the same as ingenue ...

and that it was just a clever marketing name....

:blink:

• 1 month later...