Zeiss Super Speed S16 - 9.5mm Clip on ND

Hello, 

Has anyone clipped on NDs on Zeiss Super Speed MKIII (S16). The front lens diameter is 80mm and I am trying to find a solution for small ND filters to clip onto the lens (circular ones). Will 82mm work or do you think it might vignette on the 9.5mm lens from the set? 

I know there is 95mm clamp-on adapter but 95mm filters are also harder to find.

I found this link but not sure if it will works. 

https://rafcamera.com/clamp-80mm-to-m82x0-75f

Thanks, 

Boris 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Boris,

You should be fine clipping the adapter and 82mm ND directly on the lens. I've used Series 9 filters which require a clamp on adapter and a retaining ring, on Zeiss Superspeeds (S35) and Zeiss Standard Speeds. The 18mm Superspeed and the 16mm Standard Speed have no issue with these filters. I suspect you should get by with no issue with this adapter.

Matthew 

@Boris Kalaidjiev The matte box is on 15mm rods. I have a variation of the "bellows matte box" as per the SR II instruction manual. It is an Arri MB-10 that only takes 3x3 or 3x4 filters as opposed to 3x3 or 4x4. My SR II also came with the "Lighweight support" as described in the same instruction manual. If you can find and purchase the lightweight support I'm sure any modern matte box would work with it since they all slip onto 15mm rods as well, although keep in mind most take 4x4 filters which are quite expensive in comparison to 3x3 or 3x4 filters. Here is an excerpt from the instruction manual detailing the lightweight support as well as the different matte boxes that were available at the time.

Lightweight Support

The lightweight support has been constructed as an alternative to the tripod bridge plate, for filming from the shoulder. It is used as a support for the lightweight follow focus system as well as for the bellows matte box and is alsoused as a support for the lightweight matte box when standard lenses are used.

1.jpg.bb2544fffd90d3fe8ebd39531299d0e2.jpg

The light-weight support is placed in the camera shoe (19) and fastened with the knurled screw (a) which is found between the two support rods. The accessories can now bevpushed on the rods, positioned as required, and held securevby tightening the screw (b).

Untitled-2.jpg.9c879ad0ddb1c6291e5b0d02da1b63c3.jpg

Matte Boxes

In addition to the bellows matte box which was developed for use with the ARRIFLEX 16 SR II (it can also be used with the 35 III), the 16 St bellows matte box can also be used; the old holder must be replaced with a new guide rail which fits onto the lightweight support. Only certain lenses can be used; the16 St universal matte box cannot be modified.

The bellows matte box is secured in two places: the upper part is fixed to a matte box rod and beneath it is supported on the light-weight support; it is secured in the required position with the screws a, b, c. It has a fixed slot and a rotatable stage for two 3" x 3" or 4" x 4" or 94 mm dia. filters. With the suitable adapter ring this matte box can be used with short focal length lenses (e.g. the 8 mm Distagon) as well as with long focal length lenses (e.g. the 10 - 150 mm Angenieux-Zoom.)

3.jpg.5026ecbf39f581be7d2e3b21645936ba.jpg

The lightweight matte box is fastened to the front of the lens with a clamp ring. To ensure a close fit there are lens adapter rings for the different lenses. For zoom lenses (with the exception of the Zeiss-Vario-Sonnar f 1.8 / 10 -100) a round rubber hood should be used; for fixed focal length lenses (and the before-mentioned Zeiss-Vario-Sonnar) a rectangular rubber tube should be used. As the lightweight matte box is used mainly for news reporting, a rotatable filter stage is unnecessary. A holder takes two 3" x 3" filter frames. Should the Vario-Sonnar f 2.8/ 10 -100 mm be used, the focus lever can be extended forwards with an extension. With fixed focal length standard lenses which have a rotatable front ring for setting the iris diaphragm, we recommend the use of the additional support for attaching the lightweight matte box to the lightweight support.

4.jpg.5a0d481c52c6acfa3392a08cd4d5a5cb.jpg

The 4" x 4" production matte box for 16 mm zoom, standard and high speed lenses, with its three filter planes, affords optimal operation versatility for motion picture productions. Two 4" x 4" filter frames are rotatable and slidable for graduated filters. The likewise rotatable filter ring which can be replaced by a reflex prevention ring, is designed to take 4 ½”, round filters. The production matte box is fastened to the support rods of the bridge plate (see also »The bridge and support plate«) or the support plate and can be swung away through 90° to change the lens.

5.jpg.fb03f3879b6a0c011bf29d3ad0143183.jpg

Edited by Matthew J. Walker
OCD

On 4/5/2023 at 12:25 PM, Boris Kalaidjiev said:

Hello, 

Has anyone clipped on NDs on Zeiss Super Speed MKIII (S16). The front lens diameter is 80mm and I am trying to find a solution for small ND filters to clip onto the lens (circular ones). Will 82mm work or do you think it might vignette on the 9.5mm lens from the set? 

I know there is 95mm clamp-on adapter but 95mm filters are also harder to find.

I found this link but not sure if it will works. 

https://rafcamera.com/clamp-80mm-to-m82x0-75f

Thanks, 

Boris 

Hi Boris, 

i sometimes put circular vnd on s16 mk2’s, 9,5mm will vignette a tad. 

i think the only way to have a (v)nd on the 9,5 without vignette, you could use a clamp on mattebox, and remove the hood, like so: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dofkrppz60ppmc8/2023-04-30 12.52.11-1.jpg?dl=0 this is a polar pro with the hood removed. 

i use a RAF camera clamp, for each of my (4) mk2 superspeeds and then I can use 77mm (v)nd’s , with the 9,5 vignetting slightly. Picture of my 25mm with a RAF adapter and attached a 77mm vnd: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uclg5mvgwps1k4c/2023-04-30 12.52.11.jpg?dl=0 i taped the raf adapter for a better fit with my 87mm to mattebox clamp. The clamp i use is a more basic one, i’ve put some tape on the superspeed, you screw down with the adapter on the tape and its pretty tight and snugg on there. 

My only way to have 9,5 not vignette is to not use a raf 77mm clamp adapter, and just clamp a 80mm adapter ring directly to the front of the lens a use a hoodless polarpro mattebox for the nd. the profile and weight are still quite limited with this setup, usable for steadicam/gimbal work. 

polar pro is not THE vnd mattebox i’d recommend probably, there is a bright tangarine out there that does the same but a bit betterc for a similar price.