canon 1014 tech specs

timHealy

hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has shot 500 speed film with a Canon 1014 super 8 camera. I am want to do some shooting of a wedding using the auto exposure but am unsure if a 1014 has the ability to recognize the way super 8 cameras read film speed off the cartridges. When these cameras were made I don't know if they ever thought of the possibilty of 500 asa film.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this? Do I need to check it out with a test or just shoot and don't fret?

Thanks you in advance.

Tim

hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has shot 500 speed film with a Canon 1014 super 8 camera. I am want to do some shooting of a wedding using the auto exposure but am unsure if a 1014 has the ability to recognize the way super 8 cameras read film speed off the cartridges. When these cameras were made I don't know if they ever thought of the possibilty of 500 asa film.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this? Do I need to check it out with a test or just shoot and don't fret?

Thanks you in advance.

Tim

A few answers to your questions.

First, starting at the last, if I were you I wouldn't worry about it and shoot and don't fret. Negative film can easily deal with the difference between the limits of your Canon's 400 speed cartridge reading and the film's 500 speed. In fact, as most will say, a slight over exposure like that will give can be benificial for reducing grain a little bit with negatives.

Second, it's true that only a few manufacturers had such insight and designed true professional design cameras with manual ASA dials. The Beaulieus come to mind -- the latter ones going I think higher than 400, I could be wrong. And, of course, the ultimate super 8 camera, the legendary Leicina Special:

Leicina_ASA.sized.jpg

hello all,

Thanks you in advance.

Tim

In a similar situation... My 814 only reads notching up to 250 ASA. I'm seriously considering buying a separate exposure meter. To this point, I've merely guessed and shot with manual apperture.

I strongly suggest using an external light meter. This avoids weird aperure changes when panning etc.

In fact I suggest always using an external light meter.

The reason behind this is that I will be using my SR, but I am going to have family members like my dad who shot tons of super 8 when I was a kid, shoot super 8 at the same time. I just want it to be set it on auto exposure and let him go.

Tim

The reason behind this is that I will be using my SR, but I am going to have family members like my dad who shot tons of super 8 when I was a kid, shoot super 8 at the same time. I just want it to be set it on auto exposure and let him go.

Tim

Just remind youre dad to keep the sun over his shoulder and behind him and you should get very nice results with the Canon. If you can look over his should from time to time you can adjust the over-under dial if he tends to look into the sun alot.

hello all,

Thanks you in advance.

Tim

if it is the xls model (possibly also the E) it will set the 500 to 400 in auto mode, if you use the exposure compensation dial on the xls and set i to -1/3 it will set the film speed to 500. however some overexposure will give less grain so the default 400 setting is just perfect.

shoot