Kubrick exhibition

Deniz Zagra

I was fortunate enough to see a small part o the Kubrick Exhibition. While walking through and checking his equipment, I noticed how many lenses he collected over the years: from very small cine lenses designed specifically for black and white to the more famous Cooke Speed Panchros and the 20:1 zoom lens.

Even though these were state of the art at the time, they look much more mechanical and "steampunky" than I expected, and they're a lot smaller than  modern lenses like the Master Primes.

I just wanted to share a few things that I thought might interest a few people on this forum. By the way, the Arriflex 35 II C, one of Kubrick's favorite cameras, is much smaller and more compact than I expected. It looks like it would be really fun to use it. Any experiences with this camera?

1b (18) copy.jp2

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think I saw the Kubrick exhibit in Paris around 2011, I think.  Possibly the best exhibit I've seen for motion pictures. Unbelievably thorough. 

The Cooke, Zeiss, and Schneider lenses that you find on the 2c turret are quite dinky compared to the typical PL mount lenses today. I think a lot of that has to do with the uniform diameters and  focus /iris gears of modern lenses as compared with the old butterfly focus. 

It's funny to think how tiny some of the elements in those  lenses are. . 

I love my 2c. It's a great, time tested design. 

Your picture shows a 200' magazine.  A 400' load it can get pretty heavy for handheld after a while, but there are magazines designed for shouldering that can make it somewhat less burdensome.