Where exactly is PV Woodland Hills?

Guest Jim Murdoch

Guest Jim Murdoch

I'm helping a friend compile a page of cinematography links, and we want to include .kml links so people can zoom in to the actual locations using Google Earth if they have it available.

Unfortunately, photos taken from space don't look at all like actual maps, and if you're not familiar with a city, it can be really difficult to find your away around.

It took me nearly 2 hours to find DeSoto Ave where Panavision's head office is located, but I have no idea which of all the huge buildings is theirs!

Can anybody tell me the name of the closest cross street to PV Woodland Hills? Well, if someone could tell me their exact latitude and longitude, that would be even better!

The same information for Arri Munich would be nice too!

• Premium Member
I'm helping a friend compile a page of cinematography links, and we want to include .kml links so people can zoom in to the actual locations using Google Earth if they have it available.

Unfortunately, photos taken from space don't look at all like actual maps, and if you're not familiar with a city, it can be really difficult to find your away around.

It took me nearly 2 hours to find DeSoto Ave where Panavision's head office is located, but I have no idea which of all the huge buildings is theirs!

Can anybody tell me the name of the closest cross street to PV Woodland Hills? Well, if someone could tell me their exact latitude and longitude, that would be even better!

The same information for Arri Munich would be nice too!

Jim

I found Arri on my GPS software its N48 09.183 E11 34.666

Turkenstrasse 89 corner of Akademiestrasse

I don't think I have north America software so i cant help there!

Cheers

Stephen

Guest Jim Murdoch
Haha

Jim wants to spy on Panavision from Outer Space. Are you planing to count the boxes containing the Genesis going in and out of the building?

Oh thanks a lot for blowing my cover! Who knows what's going to be in those boxes now. Kitchen trash, old copies of playboy, worn-out NiCad cells, the list is endless.

Guest Jim Murdoch
The front doors are in the middle of that building which looks like two buildings, one on top of the other.

Which, in a nutshell, pretty much sums up the politics of Panavision for the past 50 years...

But anyway, here it is:

post-3312-1131416946.jpg

Ve know where you live!!!! Und ve vill be vatching you!

I've only ever been to Panavision W.H. once, and that was in the early 90s. I'm not even sure if it was the same building, as I was driven there in a taxi, suffering severe jet lag!

Now; can somebody tell me where I can get a copy of that image processing software they use on all the American Cop Shows. You know, where they take a 6-pixel image of a numberplate picked up by a $49 Radio Shack CCTV camera and recorded on a VHS tape that's already been recorded over 497 times, and turn it into a crystal-clear image that not only tells them the number of the car and the State it's registered in, but with luck, can even bring up a partial fingerprint if the light was good.

STOP PRESS: According to a rumour I've just made up, George Lucas is planning to shoot Star Wars Episode 7: The Jar Jar Jedi with Sony Handycams, provided he can also get hold of a copy.

Hi,

I'd give you the link for Arri in Uxbridge, but it's clearly too ugly a place name to merit Google imagery at any worthwhile resolution...

Phil

I know where they are at least, ('eaf-row and Airlinks is kinda hard to miss:-) Although I haven't actually been down there for some years either.

But the extra resolution wouldn't help anyway; a D-20 looks too much like a 435!

And I can't even make out my own suburb, let alone my house!

Guest Jim Murdoch
Jim

I found Arri on my GPS software its N48 09.183 E11 34.666

Turkenstrasse 89 corner of Akademiestrasse

Cheers

Stephen

Is this it? Google Earth seems to use a different co-ordinate system from GPS. With Google you get a choice of degrees, minutes and seconds or degrees and decimal fractions of a degree, wheras GPS appears to use degrees, minutes and decimal fractions of a minute.

post-3312-1131419541.jpg

• Premium Member
Is this it? Google Earth seems to use a different co-ordinate system from GPS. With Google you get a choice of degrees, minutes and seconds or degrees and decimal fractions of a degree, wheras GPS appears to use degrees, minutes and decimal fractions of a minute.

post-3312-1131419541.jpg

Hi,

No that I think is the Arri Kino next door.

I have reset my gps output degrees, minutes & seconds, is that better?

N48 09 10.26 E11 34 38.72

Cheers

Stephen

P.S. just looked at Google Earth, I think that's it! the lowest building in your map! I updated coordinates from Google earth!

Guest Jim Murdoch
Wow, that's kinda creepy... :blink:

Possibly it's not as bad as you think. The images you see on Google Earth aren't live pictures; what happens is, when you enter a set of co-ordinates or click somewhere on the map of the world, the Google computer pulls out a series of pre-existing satellite photos from a gigantic library and assembles them into an animation that looks like you're zooming in on somebody's backyard!

Many of the pictures are years out of date. My sister in London bought a new red car just on three years ago, yet the picture of her place still shows her old blue one!

Of course, one day, it may well be "almost live", in the sense that the pictures will be updated much more frequently, but I doubt it could ever be real-time.

It's still a lot of fun, and useful too. I was able to make my sister a map of a place she had to get to, that was a real picture rather than just a street map. Maps have their place of course, but there's nothing like having an idea of what the buildings actually look like.

Hi,

No that I think is the Arri Kino next door.

Stephen

I was under the impression that Arri owns that whole block, but I've never been there.