Why is there slack on my film stock?

• Premium Member

That slack is important.  You need to have roughly the same amount of slack on both sides of the pressure plate - looks like not enough loop on the bottom side.  Someone with more recent SR experience might be able to guide you further

When you say "destroyed" what's happening exactly?

• Premium Member

Just make sure the film is in the center of the gate with the same size loop upper and lower. 

In loading the SR mags, don't have it attached to the pressure plate like you have here. Have it loose from the pressure plate at first. Once you get it wound onto the take up side, then push it into the little groves that hold it on the pressure plate. 

8 hours ago, Dan Finlayson said:

That slack is important.  You need to have roughly the same amount of slack on both sides of the pressure plate - looks like not enough loop on the bottom side.  Someone with more recent SR experience might be able to guide you further

When you say "destroyed" what's happening exactly?

When I start rolling it makes a bad sound and the film has punctures in it.

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Stefan Lindenblatt said:

When I start rolling it makes a bad sound and the film has punctures in it.

I've never had that happen.  Did you use the test button to inch the film forward before running it at full speed?  I think this tutorial video is pretty solid:

In this tutorial, the guy says you should match a perf up with where the claw will grab the film.  I don't think I've ever done this and yet I haven't had an issue.  But might be worth trying, inching the camera, and seeing what happens.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
On 6/29/2023 at 2:29 PM, Stefan Lindenblatt said:

When I load my film stock there’s always slack that doesn’t change when I spin the wheel. It causes my stock to get destroyed when I roll the camera

IMG_2231.jpeg

You need to be more clear in your description. What slack? If you mean the loop, which you measure to the line when loading, then that’s meant to stay constant. That’s how a film camera works. Just don’t latch the film onto the gate until you’ve fed through enough and wound it onto the take-up core. With the loop still free from the gate you should be able to turn the gear and the film will move  through from feed side to take-up, with the loop staying the same size. Only then, latch the film onto the gate, centre it and load the mag, Then manually inch or use the test button to slowly advance the film until the claw catches a perf. You can usually hear it catch. Read the manual thoroughly to understand your camera. If it’s still not working properly after that, you might need a tech to look at it.