Shoulder support for Arriflex 16ST

Fabian Schreyer

So I am looking for some form of (affordable) shoulder support for my 16ST. I know the original one which is basically a metal bar. While I have never used that one, it kind of looks more like a torture device to me...

I have seen people put it on rails, but I don't know if that is a bit too much? My main focus is keeping it portable.

Thanks for all kinds of suggestions!

• Premium Member

There is the simple original one that is a metal bar with a big "C" shape on the end.  It's surprisingly usable, despite looking like Tiny Tim's crutch turned sideways.  It just kind of works, putting the loads on your body in ways that keep the camera stable without a lot of effort.  If you can try one before buying it, I wouldn't rule it out just because it looks so dumb.

There is the more complex original one, with a proper padded shoulder brace and a body brace and some articulated pieces in between.  That starts to look more like a Steadicam rig, and is similarly over-equipped with adjustments.  But quite usable.

In both cases the key is to get it all adjusted just right to fit your body and comfort level.  Oh, and I recommend in both cases getting the version with the trigger handle - it screws into the tripod socket on the camera to hold it to the bracket, but then also actuates the 16ST shutter control via a pin up through the socket.  Unlike the original side trigger switch for the camera this one is "press on to run, let go to stop" - it doesn't lock on.

If I get a moment I might post my usual sort of forensic-level photos of both of these, as I own both.

Duncan

• Thanks 1

Thanks, thats good to know that these original ones are actually usable! I've seen pictures of both but right now there are none for sale (at least not for a reasonable price) where I live. The trigger handle is also a feature that I did not know about till now, but that makes it really interesting to me. I guess there are no third-party handles that did implement this?

• Premium Member

I know of no third party trigger handles with the pin up the center.

Arri made a trigger handle as a separate piece, where you can use it without either of the braces.  You do see those for sale more often (not always for reasonable prices.)  And then it's the same base handle parts, but with a longer threaded piece and pin, for being able to reach through the platforms on the two braces and still thread into the camera.

Duncan

• Thanks 1