Old 7245 50D?

Hey everyone!

I'm shooting some exterior shots for this student project this week on old 7245 stock. It's about 5-6 years old. Now, I have no time to clip test but I'm thinking that because the 45 has such low grain in the first place the grain might not be that bad (i'm not sure about fogging though) I've been wondering about how I can compensate...I was thinking of overexposing by 2/3 of a stop and rate the film at EI 32. I would rate it more and pull process but the school is paying for processing and they won't pay for special processing. I wanted to know what else I can do to compensate for any aging problems. Also, I want to know how this 2/3 overexposure would affect the image with normal processing. I'm getting a best light telecine transfer; no film print...

Please let me know your opinions

• Premium Member

I'd go further than that - I'd go for at least a stops over-exposure, maybe even one and a half.

No need to pull process - if you're going for a print at the end you can just print down. And if you're going for telecine it's even easier - just grade it down in best (just shoot a grey card or tell the TK operator to keep it down).

• Premium Member
Hey everyone!

I'm shooting some exterior shots for this student project this week on old 7245 stock. It's about 5-6 years old. Now, I have no time to clip test but I'm thinking that because the 45 has such low grain in the first place the grain might not be that bad (i'm not sure about fogging though) I've been wondering about how I can compensate...I was thinking of overexposing by 2/3 of a stop and rate the film at EI 32. I would rate it more and pull process but the school is paying for processing and they won't pay for special processing. I wanted to know what else I can do to compensate for any aging problems. Also, I want to know how this 2/3 overexposure would affect the image with normal processing. I'm getting a best light telecine transfer; no film print...

Hi,

If the film has been in a fridge then about 1 stop overexposure should be fine. As your going to telecine you should be able to compensate for any fogging .

I once called up Fuji Switzerland and complained they were charging full price for F64D that I knew was over 2 years old! They said Low ASA stocks are factory fresh for 4 years!

Stephen

Hi,

If the film has been in a fridge then about 1 stop overexposure should be fine. As your going to telecine you should be able to compensate for any fogging .

I once called up Fuji Switzerland and complained they were charging full price for F64D that I knew was over 2 years old! They said Low ASA stocks are factory fresh for 4 years!

Stephen

So would the 1-stop overexposure not be a problem after I process normal...or would it be TOO overexposed and I would HAVE to correct it in telecine?

• Premium Member
So would the 1-stop overexposure not be a problem after I process normal...or would it be TOO overexposed and I would HAVE to correct it in telecine?

Your latitude is all on the overexposure side with colour negative films in general. That is why they used to sell 126 catriges of film rated at 200, and had good results when folks used them in instamatic cameras made when the film was rated at 80.

AS another datapoint, I did a test recently with a still roll of 5247 that I got back in 1986, ie in my freezer for 20 years. Fog was high, but the image looked full bodied on the film. Oviously such an extreme case is not recomended. This was with normal exposure.

As always with anything out of the ordinary, if you can posibly make a test, even if it is to do repeatable work early and try to get the first roll back before you do your "hard to do" shots.

• Premium Member

7245 that has been in cold storage for 5 to 6 years may show a slight increase in fog level, which could be measured by a simple "clip test" run by your lab. Always a good idea to give a slightly "rich" exposure with older color negative film, to place the scene information up the curve, away from any fog in the shadows. With higher speed films (e.g., 500T), ambient radiation can be a significant factor with old film, even when refrigerated.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I think 1 stop maximum, don't round up or anything! I would personally aim for 1/2-2/3 stop over.

A test is always a good idea with old film!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hey everyone!

Old stocks, tend to loose some colour characteristics too, usually the Green curve of the stock gets weaker, wich as a final result u get some magenta tint.A test is the best solution, I would suggest 30meters strip shooting colour patches and a person, with different f/stops.

You will then see the tendency of the film to colour some dark areas, especially when underexposed,(all negatives do this) but the old ones maybe will do it more.

Kodak is a very reliable company,I have done tests with old stocks,(1-2 yrs after expiration and the result was great), I believe that good storage is the point.

Dimitrios Koukas

SLow stocks such as 7245 have a relatively long shelf life. If it has been refrigerated, you won't have any problems. If not, it's unpredicatable.

Still, as has been suggested, overexposing by up to a stop will be perfectly safe. Don't even think about pull processing or anything, it wouldn't help.

One stop over won't present any problems on telecine: if the fog level is good, you will have a good rich negative with loads of shadow detail, and a best light transfer will be easy and good.

If the fog level is up, then the overexposure won't present any problems that you wouldn't have anyway as a result of the fog level: and lifting your image over the fog will once again make it a good and easy best-light transfer.