Checking the Gate - Tips

Hi,

I am shooting a S16 project using an Arri SR2. I'm hoping some of the more experienced AC's out there can provide me with the correct step-by-step procedure to "Check" and "Clean" the gate on an Arri SR2. 

• Premium Member

There are a couple of ways to check the gate. I always preferred to look through the lens with a flashlight with the lens set to infinity. You should be able to see the entire gate by moving your eye and light around. If you see anything suspicious, unload the camera and wipe the inside gate with a clean finger and gently blow some air to clean. I always inspected the inside gate on  every reload. Keep it simple. 

G

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

With SR2s pressing the “test” button rotates the mirror/shutter 180 degrees so you can see the gate from the lens port, and removing the mag is very simple if you need to clean the gate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

Hey, thanks you both for the info. Never realised you could check without removing the lens. And I always used the winder to see the gate but the test button is a good idea. What are your thoughts on using orange sticks and compressed air?

• Premium Member

I would never use compressed air in a can; it can leave residue AND it can drive dirt down further into the mechanics of the camera.  Get a bulb blower, like the Rocket Blower brand; much safer and turn the camera/mag upside down to let the crud fall out.

Orange wood sticks are great for removing stubborn build-up of emulsion on gate and other polished surfaces.  Never touch the gate or any surface where the film runs with metal or any type of abrasive material.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3