New Bolex owner requests advice on refurbshment options

David White

Hello Bolex community,

I just bought a Bolex H16 Rex 1 camera on Ebay. The seller said it had been last serviced 15 years ago by Super16Inc and last used 12 years ago. The camera looks to be in good condition and the seller said it runs well without film. It came with a pair of Switar lenses: 16mm non RX and 25mm RX. Both appear to be in good condition.

I've been researching maintenance and understand that I should have the camera professionally checked out, cleaned,and lubricated after this much time. Being the current caretaker of this fine camera, I want to make sure it's well maintained. I have not attempted to use the camera, but I did finish unwinding the motor and disengaged it.

I've read forum posts from many years ago about CLA recommendations, but several repair people have since retired. Can someone please suggest a good place to send my camera these days?

David

• Premium Member

One thing is already clear, the 16 mm lens you can only use stopped down to f/4 or more, wider open images will be out of focus. Below 50 mm of focal length and f/3.3 the influence of the reflex double-prism (astigmatism and prismatic dysfocus) is noticeable.

Next I can tell you that you don’t need to disengage the spring while the camera is not in use. To run the spring down, though,  is a wise move.

How much did you pay for the package, if I may ask?

Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I'll try the camera with some exposed film I got after I try the 12fps/upside down with no film rattle test Simon mentioned here a few years ago.

The camera and two lenses cost $660. I think I got a really good deal. The seller even gave me a film changing bag.

David

• Premium Member

The sidefinder belongs to it. In dim light you don’t see much through the reflex finder.

The H cameras are more demanding than one might assume. I wish you joy with the equipment and a tripod.

I had bought a cheap reel of exposed, but not developed test film and ran it through the camera. From a full rewind, it runs for 21sec at 24fps (503 frames, 120ft).

After finishing the roll, I didn't see any scratches.

I got the right side view finder on Ebay for only $25. I see what you mean about reflex viewfinder getting dark with a stopped down lens. By the way, I'm seeing a wide screen view from the reflex viewfinder and the top border appears somewhat sloped. I've never looked through a Bolex before and don't know what's normal. The seller thinks it has not been modified for super 16mm.

David

Note: The seller mentioned the camera has a 10x reflex viewfinder, but the Rolex reference page mentions a 6x reflex viewfinder for the H16 Rex1. Perhaps I'm seeing a wide screen image from a reflex viewfinder taken from a super 16mm modified camera.

David

• Premium Member

503 frames is short of normal, it should be around 648 but possibly the frame counter slips.

A photo of the finder will allow us to tell you the enlargement factor.

My advice: put money aside for an overhaul or sell it to buy an other model. Maybe you take to a standard model that can be fitted with regular C-mount lenses. Optical freedom

Thank you for your advice, Simon.

It occurred to me I might not have rewound the spring after I ran the newly loaded film to 0ft. I tried the experiment again with a fully wound spring and this time I got 661 frames, 16.3ft in 27 seconds before the motor stopped.

I looked at photos of the Rex2-5 viewfinders and they all have a large adjustment ring behind the eye piece. Mine doesn't have that so I must have the original 6x viewfinder. That's okay, though. I'm pleased with my purchase and I will get the camera cleaned and lubricated. I bought a sample 16mm roll of 50D film from Pro8mm and will probably make some test exposures this weekend. If any visual anomalies show up in the images, I can mention them when I get the camera refurbished.

By the way, how can I edit my existing posts here? I don't see where the option is. There is a missing period in my previous post about 12.0ft of film.