F-750 downconversions

Stuart Brereton

I've got a promo coming up later this year. We're shooting HD with a F-750. The director will be cutting the promo on FCP. The camera has both the HD-I and SD-I boards in it. What I'm wondering (stupidly,perhaps) is whether the in-camera downconversion to SD is comparable in quality to a capture card based downconvert (probably a Blackmagic Decklink).

The card hasn't been purchased yet, which is why i'm wondering if they can get away with downconverting in camera and capturing to a SD card, rather than spending 3 times as much on an HD card.

thanks.

• Premium Member
I've got a promo coming up later this year. We're shooting HD with a F-750. The director will be cutting the promo on FCP. The camera has both the HD-I and SD-I boards in it. What I'm wondering (stupidly,perhaps) is whether the in-camera downconversion to SD is comparable in quality to a capture card based downconvert (probably a Blackmagic Decklink).

The card hasn't been purchased yet, which is why i'm wondering if they can get away with downconverting in camera and capturing to a SD card, rather than spending 3 times as much on an HD card.

thanks.

Stuart,

I have used the SD output of a 750 without problems.

Stephen

Stuart,

I have used the SD output of a 750 without problems.

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen,

I've used the SD-I to downconvert as well. I was pleased with the results, but I am curious to know if there is a qualitative difference between that and a Card based downconvert.

Stuart

• Premium Member
Thanks, Stephen,

I've used the SD-I to downconvert as well. I was pleased with the results, but I am curious to know if there is a qualitative difference between that and a Card based downconvert.

Stuart

Hi,

Someone on CLM was recommending the Snell & Wilcox down-converter over the SDI output of HDCam studio recorder at a facilities house. So I guess there can be advantages but the Snell & Wilcox box does not come cheap! However nobody seconded the idea.

Stephen