D:20 UK List Price

Sol Train Saihati

• Premium Member

I enquired recently about the D20 with Arri Rental. The camera is 2250 Euros a day. Which includes the camera, recorder, monitor and waveform monitor. However they said you need to take a technician along with it as well and that person gets paid too.

I enquired recently about the D20 with Arri Rental. The camera is 2250 Euros a day. Which includes the camera, recorder, monitor and waveform monitor. However they said you need to take a technician along with it as well and that person gets paid too.

Max, did you speak with Arri London? Not the same quote I got then.

• Premium Member

Max, how rigid were they on having a technician from Arri? On a D20 commercial shoot last year the DOP sent a camera assistant to Arri (London) and that was that. I dont really see the need for a technician for this camera, it really is that simple to use - easier than the accompanying SR recorder anyway.

Keith

• Premium Member

I did not get into details with Munich as this was merely a compromise suggested to a production company who wanted me to shoot a commercial in HD. But that was before I put my foot down and we ended up shooting 35mm.

From the brief talks I had with them about the camera they said that they needed to know what requirements we had, especially in regards to the ASA setting. Did you have to do the same when you shot on the D20?

• 1 month later...
Bill Bennett told me that the asa speed is fixed at 400.

Not true. As I understand it, they are working on (or have just released) an upgrade that takes the ASA to 320 (?). Just before that, through use of different user settings with varying amount of gain, you had a choice up to 200.

Of course, you can underexpose and "push" process in the grade any amount you want, with concurrent noise issues. From what I have seen, noise/grain is considerably less than what you would see with 35mm film of a similar ASA rating.

• 2 months later...
Just Interested, how much does the camera actually cost to buy (not including the free technician )?

As I understand, it's not even close to being offered for sale. But then I have heard various darkly muttered rumours about it not working terribly well on extended shoots (i.e. longer than a TVC) so perhaps the current rentals-only thing is a sort of extended, public test period.

I spoke to Arri London a couple of months ago and they gave me the price of £1500 per day, no deals available. My own take is that, for the money and considering the lens package you'd want to support it, the only fundamental, crucial reason to rent this camera over a 35mm cam is a political one: i.e. you, the agency or the client desperately want to shoot on it and/or have a full resolution monitor on set. In the advertising world of big budgets and little patience I can not only understand that but even view it as a wise call under some circumstances.

Very interested to hear more reports of the D-20's use on a full scale feature.

Aw, but I want one.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by Matthew Buick

• 3 months later...

I just finished AC'ing a feature shooting with the D20. In some of the rental papers I saw the replacement value listed at $150,000 for body, SRW deck and Astro waveform/monitor.

The camera has several EI options: 50,100,200 and 320 in advanced user mode. At 320 there was some noticable noise that unfortunatley had a horizontal quality that was not very pleasing. This noise was not present in the blacks, but only in the areas that were 3 stops underexposed. However, when projected at 2k, this noise was not noticable.

JANDY

I just came off a feature that used one - and we did not have an arri tech on crew

From what I have seen so far it seems pretty good - we only had one problem (not confirmed) with one tapes in one of the SRW1 decks - we were running to 2

but seemed good for long form...

I'll know more in a week or two

thanks

Rolfe