Catchin up with Still Cameras?

Ashim

Hi

I always wanted to know why is it that video cameras are lagging in the number of megapixels as compared to digital still cameras. Is it mainly the cost factor or any other reason?

Thank You.

• Premium Member
Hi

I always wanted to know why is it that video cameras are lagging in the number of megapixels as compared to digital still cameras. Is it mainly the cost factor or any other reason?

Thank You.

Hi,

That is not totally true, the Viper a 4 year old camera has 27,600,000 pixels.

Stephen

Stephen:

True. Its 9.2 Megapixels for each sensor, But is that the effective megapixel rate?And around how many MP do u need to mimic the resolution of 35mm film?

Lastly what about about the pixel pitch? What is the ideal pixel size. And what are the drawbacks of both a large and small pixel pitch?

Too many unrelated questions, am sorry but Id be thankful to yall if u cld shed some light on the above.

Thanks

• Premium Member
Stephen:

True. Its 9.2 Megapixels for each sensor, But is that the effective megapixel rate?And around how many MP do u need to mimic the resolution of 35mm film?

Ashim,

If a Bayer sensor is allowed to count all the pixels, I don't see why a Viper should not do the same and call itself a 27 Megapixels camera!

I don't think anybody has managed to do that with a digital movie camera so far. I would like to see a Film v Genesis back to back before commenting further.

Stephen

• Premium Member

The main reason that digital movie cameras are "lagging" behind still cameras in the megapixel count is that a movie camera has to take at least 24 frames every second (and hopefully more) and record them in real time. Try finding a 12MP digital still camera that can shoot 24 times a second and process & store the data.

So it's not really a sensor problem (although it also has to work faster) so much as it is a data processing & recording speed / volume challenge. Moving images create a LOT of data compared to still images.

The Dalsa and upcoming RED camera basically have 8MP or more Bayer-filtered sensors. The Genesis is a 12MP sensor but it is designed to only allow 1920 x 1080 resolution to be derived from it, since it allots a slow and fast row of filtered sensor sites for each color. You could call that a "simple" form of de-Bayering although it is not a Bayer filter, but this design does give it more exposure latitude than many HD cameras.

• Premium Member
RED is a 12mp sensor, BTW. And yes, the problem is getting such a large and high resolution sensor running at 24, never mind 60fps.

Graeme

Graeme,

What do you estimate (or have measured) the resoloution of the Red sensor to be?

Stephen

Just an FYI, in the stills world digital has NOT "caught up" with film. Just ask National Geographic, Playboy, and countless thousands of pros who shoot film every day. The only area that has embraced it completely is the press.

Edited by Stephen Williams