Are there any Indian Cinematographers over this forum?

Guest deepu

Guest deepu

Can you please respond..

regards,

Sandeep

Hey there:

I'm not indian, however I am DP'ing an international bollywoodesque film. If you have any questions.

Can you please respond..

regards,

Sandeep

I'm shooting commercials in India a lot, so maybe i can help you trough...(i'm not Indian)

A.Burak Turan

Milano

+905322734777

Can you please respond..

regards,

Sandeep

• 6 months later...

Am Indian by birth, living in Wash DC suburbs for 20 years.... Hobbyist film maker.

3 ultra low budget indie. features to my credit as Director/DP - planning a 4th on super 16mm very soon.... (due to budget reasons, am using the Russian K3.... yes, I know it sounds like a sewing machine but my styliazed film is not dialogue heavy and I plan to have my actors loop the lines on location - right after the take, with camera not running - as did Robert Rodriguez in "El Mariachi").

Question - Bollywood movies have 5-6 songs in each one of them. Has anyone been around during the shooting of Bollywood song?

My question is the following and I'm hoping THIS thread may lead me to an answer.....

Q: I have a 3 minute musical track to which I want to picturize my actors who will mouth the words to appear as if they are singing the track on screen. Anyone got any ADVANCED tips on this? ie. how does one effectively break down the music, plan for the shots etc etc.... YET OBTAIN COVERAGE AND CONTINUITY ON FINAL EDIT.

Thanks all.

• Premium Member

This is how most music videos (and, I assume, Bollywood style musicals) are shot. At the most basic level, it's simply a case of having your music available for playback on set so the cast can lip-sync to it, then laying the music onto a timeline when editing and (often manually) lining up the picture to match it. Of course, if you want specific shots happening at specific parts of the song, you have to start getting creative - counting in dolly moves, or whatever. At the most complicated level, on something like the Aguilera "Candyman" video, if you are doing motion control camera moves you may need to use timecode to lock camera moves, lighting and music together - but that would only happen if you were doing some fairly advanced stuff.

Most of the music videos I've worked on just played the song back on set, often from a minidisc or DAT, and shot pretty much wild.

Phil