Cinema Gear Expo

Gary Robinson

Hi Guys,

I went to the Cinegear Expo. Red didn't have a booth this year, but I hear they gave a nice demo in the theatre. I saw a demo of the Sony F23 HD camera which was very highresolution, but for me, it paled in comparison to the Fuji demo with a clip from David Mullen's work on "The Astronaut Farmer." Any other notes from the show?

Edited by Gary Robinson

• Premium Member

Meeting Garrett Brown was pretty cool...

Loved the Cooke S4 9.5-55 t1.6 zoom for Super 16.

The Dalsa demo footage was nice, but I didn't get to ask enough questions about the demo to find out what shutterspeeds were used.

The Kelvin tile looks like a promising advance.

Oh yeah-- the Viper/venom handheld configuration was so comfy I wanted to walk out the door with it and take it home right then!

• Premium Member
Any other notes from the show?

My favorite was the S.two field recording system. More robust for harsh environments than tape, and they've thought out the big picture for getting it into post. Recording the full raw output of the chip cameras means your hands aren't tied by what the DIT did on location. It simplifies what you have to do on the set, where time is the most expensive.

-- J.S.

Did anybody notice the V3 lens system at the Angenieux booth. It had a rotating iris built into the lens. Apparently it helps seperate a flat image by putting movement to everything in the frame that is not on the focal plane. Some of the test footage look kind of interesting and I think it would find a lot of use in the music video world.

Did anybody else see the V3? Any other thoughts about it?