Hello all. I am an ameture in filmaking....ok, I'll be honest; I have no idea what I am doing, but would really like to. I hope to one day be great director myself, and in preperation I have been studying the greats and their works, BUT, that's only half of it. The other extremely important part is the actual process of filmmaking. Besides knowing that you neec comstumes, makeup, sets, and actors, I have no idea what else you need such as types of actual film, lenses, etc. I have no idea the difference between 35mm and 18mm, I've never even heard of 8-only, so yes, I am lost. I would greatly appreciate the help of someone more experienced to explain to me these film terms and processes.

:) -Any help what-so-ever are VERY appreciated.-:)

Hello again. One more important quetsion... :huh: I was hoping to get sarted on my own film projects soon, but I have a really crappy old handicam. I was wondering what camera and/or accesseries are neccessary to make a fairly good quality film. (I have a budget ranging from $100-$300.) Thank you again.

-Elise-

Step One.

As for the camera... Right now, don't bother spending a lot of money on a great camera until you really begin to know what you're doing.

Just whatever it is you purchase first, make sure it has manual controls for focus, shutter speed, and aperture (and preferably white balance, as well).

EDIT: Umm... $100-$300? You may want to attach another zero onto those figures... :D

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Yeh I agree with Alvin.

Are you looking to edit the video on computer? If so then make sure you get a MiniDV camera with a firewire out. Look out for cameras with an " i " at the end of the model name. It basically indicates that you can burn video back onto the tape and save having to store it onto your computer, which takes up huge amounts of space. Although having that feature isn't necessary, just useful.

• Premium Member

Hi,

At this stage, stick with the handycam (What's the model number, out of interest?)

You can learn a lot about filmmaking with even a basic camera. Issues like framing and composition are the same on most formats, and it's often actually harder to light for DV than it is for film (film can be more forgiving your mistakes.) I wouldn't go spending hundreds on trying to upgrade it, I'd see what you can get out of it first - this will give you a chance to work around other issues that go with independent filmmaking, like trying to find crew and cast and organise locations, as well as just camerawork.

I'd also try to get some kind of computer editing sorted out. You don't even need a very special computer to do this these days, especially if you're willing to be patient while it renders. Editing can inform your camerawork a lot, since you come to watch a sequence you've shot and think "Drat, if only I had that shot..."

In short, don't spend money now, since if you are a complete beginner you can learn a lot on even the most basic equipment. If your equipment starts to actually become a problem, you will probably know when it happens - by the time you need to buy stuff, you will know what to buy!

Phil

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Yeh the Handycam seems to be a great option, and they are quite cheap as well.

But whatever you do don?t get the one that takes DVD discs, it burns it into a DVD format which you would need to mess around with a lot until you could start editing. Although the Handycam range do have basic editing features on them, but since as your learning about film as a whole edit on the computer. It's the standard method of editing video.

So, MiniDV only, if you want to keep it simple anyway.

YOu guys are great. Thanks for all the help. Yes, I guess you could consider me a student, if by student you mean someone who is trying very hard and with great interest to learn. I can't afford classes, so I am trying as hard as I can to get experience as often as possible. I am not sure at the moment the model of handicam I have, it's in the repair shop at the moment. I know I need one with firewire, but I have no idea what programs are needed to add effects or edit films. It would be awesome to be able to edit my films like that. You don't know how many times I've had to rewind the tape and film again, (usually erasing a couple seconds of the last scene :( ) A question: What exactly is shutter speed and white balance? Thanks for all your help guys.

• Premium Member

You don't know how many times I've had to rewind the tape and film again, (usually erasing a couple seconds of the last scene )

Do you mean you shoot a lot so you finish the tape and then have to rewind ? Why don't you get some more new tapes then ?

What exactly is shutter speed and white balance?

shutter speed on a video camera, sets the speed you time your frames, like time/speed with a still photo camera.

it allows you to add definition if shooting moving objects for instance, but you lose a bit of light (like in still photography)

Mind that it's not the same as setting the shutter angle on a film movie camera

The white balance is a setting that sets the camera colors according to the scene light. A white board has to be framed for doing the setting (don'record it, it's useless), so that a whit board looks white, with no color unwanted dominante.

(bacause light is not always the same, what we see with our eyes is not what the camera will see, sometimes light is a bit warm (amber) or cold (blueish), that will correct that)

i think the best thing thing to do is to read alot.

and then apply it to real life

you can learn alot by just reading good books on the subject

but you do also have to test what you have learned by making films

another good thing to do is take still photos to learn basic exposure techniques

one thing you need to know is that shooting a movie on film is very expensive

so you need to know as much as possible before you start.

but most of all have fun, if you are not having fun then dont do it

you must have passion, passion drives perfection

Thank you for your input. I do have a passion, an extreme passion. All my life I have been wanting to do something where I can fully express myself and put my thoughts and opinions out there. About a year or two ago I came across the possibiltity of a carreer in film. From then on, I can't think of anything else , I have no desire to do anything else with my life. All I want is to make great films and inspire others just as films I've seen have inspired me. That is my dream. That is my passion. I am prepared to do what ever it takes to get me there, and I have extremely high expectations. I know I can do it, and I will.

(Please do not think me to be cocky. I am just a girl determined to fulfill her dream. And I think the best lace to start for someone like me is right here.)

Elise,

I have to ask you do you want to be behind the camera or do you want to direct films? You can do both, but as many of us have learned not many people do both.

I think everyone's advice is great. I do encourage you to take a photography class. In fact those three hundred bucks you want to spend on a video camera. I would look for a class or a workshop at your local community college or university. You will learn so much just taking a basic black and white photography class.

I also think if you want to learn the inner workings of a production. Try to do some PA work. You will find out quickly if you like the world of filmmaking.

And finally, I think Kris Malkiewicz's Cinematography 2nd Edition is a great book to get some basic film techniches.

Keep checking in and tell us about your progress and whatever questions you may have.

Good luck

• Premium Member

Hi,

> I know I need one with firewire,

I don't think you absolutely have to - you can still get stuff into your computer, you just need another add-on to be able to do it. However, it's a pretty good idea and will give you at least a vaguely decent technical standard to work with.

Phil