Eclair NPR Super 16 package???Questions

A.J. Hammer

Hey Guys,

Yet another camera that is a possibility with me. The Eclair NPR Super 16 package this time. I was also thinking about a bolex, but the sound issue and everything may not work.

-I was wondering if I can get a realistic review of this camera.

-An expected price range

-Lense information, also Frame rates. And any other specifics I should know about the camera.

Thanks all of you

A.J.

I can tell you all about every camera you may find interesting, or you can do some research. My reccomendation would be to give a call to a company like Visual Products which deals in the sale of used and modified camera equipment.

The Eclair NPR is a good old workhorse camera. It runs pretty quietly and is fairly easy to use. With modifications and alterrations from various vendors, many modern accessories and lenses can be used with it. Depending on the particulars of the camera package, Eclair NPRs can be found from anywhere from $2500 to $10,000.

There's a great book with lots of pretty up to date info called the 16mm Camera Book or something similar, written by Doug Underdahl. I know that Visual Products carries it. For more info on Eclairs and mods/accessories available, check out Optical Electro House in LA, Les Boscher in the UK, AZ Spectrum in NYC and JBK Cinequipt (I think in Hollywood, FL). All have website, although Optical Electro doesn't have much of one even though they are the best Eclair house around.

<_< I am a DP based in Paris, France. The NPR is kind of noisy and not all that ergonomic.

If budget is an issue but you absolutely need to own a camera I suggest an ACL II with high speed motor and the kinoptik finder and what was called the anatomical handgrip.

Make sure the camera and mags are French because there were issues with British ACL's.

This was the Roll's Royce of 16mm cameras for news crews at the time and they are built like tanks.

This was the last ACL made before Eclair became Aaton.