Shooting at 1/25 for film transfer

Panayiotis Salapatas

Hi all,

I just completed a short film with the Canon XLH 1 camera. It was shot at 25p in extremely low light situation and the shutter speed was set to 1/25. The film is intended for 35mm transfer. Has anybody had any experience with transferring material shot at 1/25 shutter speed and seen it projected?

Thank you

ps. I know about the image blur but could not find the difference that noticeable between 1/50 and 1/25

• Premium Member
ps. I know about the image blur but could not find the difference that noticeable between 1/50 and 1/25

The faster the movement on screen, the more noticeable it is. I think you'll find that most people can easily spot the difference.

For a filmout the added motion blur will tend to make the footage look more "video-ish" than film.

As long as you have no fast movement in the frame, you should be okay with motion blur.

For a filmout the added motion blur will tend to make the footage look more "video-ish" than film.

Actually, whenever I have to shoot interlaced video, I try to use a 1/25 shutter (where available) as the slight motion blur helps reduce the 'video' look

• Premium Member
Actually, whenever I have to shoot interlaced video, I try to use a 1/25 shutter (where available) as the slight motion blur helps reduce the 'video' look

That's interlaced capture, which has different motion artifacts than progressive capture, especially when converting to progressive display.

• Premium Member
I know about the image blur but could not find the difference that noticeable between 1/50 and 1/25

In that case, you should be fine. It sounds like you don't have a lot of fast movement, which is what reveals the shutter angle. What you have is the equivalent of a 360 degree shutter, which lets you shoot with no danger of skipping -- you get blur instead.

-- J.S.