Light Meter

Hey there,

Just writing to get a feel for what Light Meters various DPs are using. I am currently looking at a Sekonic L758. Any pros/cons for this particular meter?

Cheers,

Michael Scott

Clapper Loader / Video Assist Operator

• Premium Member
Hey there,

Just writing to get a feel for what Light Meters various DPs are using. I am currently looking at a Sekonic L758. Any pros/cons for this particular meter?

Cheers,

Michael Scott

Clapper Loader / Video Assist Operator

It's been talked about ad nauseam here on the boards if you do a search.

Im a spectra pro man with a sekonic dual spot and a minolta II colour temp.

jb

(currently on the gold coast with a 6 AM start about to shoot a music clip and without a replacement for my dead PX28 Battery)

I've got the Sekonic L-398, which is really nice for some uses, and never runs out of batteries, but I'm getting a digital meter as well now. Sensitivity and accuracy are some of the problems with it. Heard a lot of really nice things about the Spectra Pro, but I also like the Sekonic L-758 for it's spot meter. It does seem to come at a stiff price though. Anyone have any experience with the spot meter accessory for the Spectra?

It's been talked about ad nauseam here on the boards if you do a search.

Im a spectra pro man with a sekonic dual spot and a minolta II colour temp.

jb

(currently on the gold coast with a 6 AM start about to shoot a music clip and without a replacement for my dead PX28 Battery)

Just out of interest who's your gaffer on the music clip?

• Premium Member
I've got the Sekonic L-398, which is really nice for some uses, and never runs out of batteries, but I'm getting a digital meter as well now. Sensitivity and accuracy are some of the problems with it. Heard a lot of really nice things about the Spectra Pro, but I also like the Sekonic L-758 for it's spot meter. It does seem to come at a stiff price though. Anyone have any experience with the spot meter accessory for the Spectra?

The only issue with the L-398 is that it's not very sensitive in low light. And of course these days Im finding anyway that im always working down at that very low level of light, especially with digital cameras like RED and the D20.

The spectra spot accessory looks good, but i don't think it's a 1 Degree ?

jb

• Premium Member
Just out of interest who's your gaffer on the music clip?

Ummm...

Someone called Stinger ???

Just doing doing telecine now at the post lounge !

Gotta love 5201. This clip is a good example of how film beats digital for dynamic range. Shooting, specular water highlights, backlit girl walking on the beach with a bit of bounce. I don't think any digital camera could hold the detail that im seeing in TK.

jb

The only issue with the L-398 is that it's not very sensitive in low light. And of course these days Im finding anyway that im always working down at that very low level of light, especially with digital cameras like RED and the D20.

The spectra spot accessory looks good, but i don't think it's a 1 Degree ?

jb

Their website claims it to be one-degree. Would love to hear from someone who's used it, and could give some opinions on it.

• Premium Member
Their website claims it to be one-degree. Would love to hear from someone who's used it, and could give some opinions on it.

I guess the thing is...

Can you really be bothered with fritzing around and swapping the attachments over ? Assuming you haven't lost it of course....which is what I would do.

I reckon it's faster to have separate meters...

jb

I guess the thing is...

Can you really be bothered with fritzing around and swapping the attachments over ? Assuming you haven't lost it of course....which is what I would do.

I reckon it's faster to have separate meters...

jb

Maybe you're right. But maybe then the Sekonic 758 is more right for me, as I really like to spotmeter.