Time Laps in XL2

Malik Sajid

A friend of mine is shooting time laps on XL2. He is having some problems

"I need to shoot time lapes with XL2 ....but few features like interval timer are locked in menu, any body know how to unlock menu features in canon XL2 waiting for response thank...... "

Regards

"I need to shoot time lapes with XL2 ....but few features like interval timer are locked in menu, any body know how to unlock menu features in canon XL2 waiting for response thank...... "

You and your friend should know that the word is "lapse," not laps, or lapes.

The info on interval recording starts on page 79 of the Manual, and on Menus and Settings, starts on page 26. I use the PDF version of the Manual mostly, since it is searchable on my computer - saves time. You can download it here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...wnloadDetailAct

Scroll down to XL2 Instruction Manual.

You and your friend should know that the word is "lapse," not laps, or lapes.

There. See how helpful this Jack Barker was? He proves we American's are much more than a bunch of haughty, narrow-minded, self-centered xxxxxxx (removed by TT).

As for the interval recorder, just go into your menu till you find "Interval" and change it from the default. I've found that some XL2's made before they removed the "grain" feature have a different setup menu from the newer models. Just takes a little searching through your menu.

However, it is not a true time-lapse function since it records in burst frames, probably not the smooth single-frame look you desire. It will look more like surveillance video.

If you have a digital SLR, you can get much better results.

• Premium Member
There. See how helpful this Jack Barker was? He proves we American's are much more than a bunch of haughty, narrow-minded, self-centered butts.

Joe, please delete this part of your post. It's rude and uncalled for. I don't want to delete your whole post since it is helpful with the exception of what's above, but I will if you don't fix it yourself. Unfortunately, I'm unable to edit it myself without deleting the whole post.

• Premium Member

I've never liked the interval on my XL1s or XL2. Like said before, the results are clunky and chunky. I think you'll get way better results if you firewire it to a laptop. I did that and let Adobe Premiere handle the grab frequency straight to hard drive. It did some dynamite cars at night in traffic as well as shadows crawling along the front of a building. I just had to run on an AC source since none of the batteries could hold out that long. Except for being SD video, the sequence is as good as anything done on film.

well thanks guys for the response ...........but the replies r goin to wrong direction let me try to make my question more simple..

in the menu some features are locked so i can't set them how to unlock those features ? B T W thanks for suggesions but i dont have a

laptop and HD camera i got XL2 so i have no other option thanks.

Ill dig my XL2 out when i get home and have a look to see if i can find the same issues you're having and any solutions.

... although to be honest, if the cameras definately in full manual mode, im pretty stumped.

Good luck.

• 2 years later...

Ill dig my XL2 out when i get home and have a look to see if i can find the same issues you're having and any solutions.

... although to be honest, if the cameras definately in full manual mode, im pretty stumped.

Good luck.

I'm sure he eventually figured it out, but if you are using 24p mode the time lapse features are locked.

• 11 months later...

Regards

I know this is a very old post. However, I had the same problem. To solve this, there needs to be a DV tape in the XL2 for the Interval time option to be switched from off to on. Once that is done, three other options that were purple, become white. Purple options in the XL2 menu means they are unavailable.