Terrible Motors

Nick Norton

Aware that there were a number of motors made for the Eclair NPR, i was wondering if there are any i should absolutely stay away from.

I'm looking to purchase an NPR, and need crystal sync, and would also like variable frame rates.

Is there a motor that offers this, that is NOT worth getting? Should i be on the lookout for the newer motors and only purchase those?

Thanks-

Nicholas

• Premium Member

Hi Nick,

my NPR came with two Aaton Alcan motors, one crystal 24/25 the other crystal and wild 8 to 48 fps. FWIK these were among the best motors available to the NPR. I think the original (Perfectone?) motor isn't that good an idea since it's really heavy and requires a special cradle if used on a tripod.

Cheers, Dave

• 1 year later...

I have a Tobin TCM 14... which is hands down the best motor ever built for the NPR. I wish tobin still made motors! anyway, The Perfectone Compact is great and offers a lot of options. The Alcan is great too, although I had one once and for some reason, no idea to this day why, a day before it was to leave for Ireland as B cam on a feature i shot there the motor died... I luckily had a constant speed motor that I threw into action for B roll stuff, and the other camera had a perfectone compact (which had a circuit problem in the mirror return) but that worked for me.

anyway, my two cents.

thanks for reading

Oliver