Am I Really Only A Three-Star Player?

K Borowski

:unsure:

Sure, I wise-crack like a peanut in a fire on this forum. I am snide, sarcastic, and sometimes even (gasp) confrontational. But when have I ever spouted B.S. here to warrant such a rating? I joke a lot, but I certainly am serioius when it comes to this passion of mine that most everyone else on this forum and I all share.

Granted there are people here who don't' like me that can influence the rating, but still, I'd think with what I contribute here, I'd be good for at least four stars. Sure, I am wrong, and I've been known to exaggerate or assume at times, but I'd say, when I am not joking about miscellania, or ranting about the beauty of the Imperial system, everything I try to contribute about film is meant to be genuinely helpful.

Am I paying way to much attention to a ratings system no better than "American Idol"'s?

• Premium Member

Hell, I've got no stars and I contribute information that my day business clients pay me hundreds if not thousands of dollars for...I'm sort of like the guy who charged $10,000 for one minute of diagnostic work on a misbehaving, badly vibrating power turbine that no-one could fix. He walked around the turbine, listening to it. He asked for a hammer, whacked one spot on the turbine with the hammer, it calmed down, and he billed $10,000. When challenged on his bill and it was insisted he itemize it, he did so. Hitting turbine with hammer...$1.00 Knowing where to hit it with a hammer...$9,999.00.

..Am I paying way to much attention to a ratings system no better than "American Idol"'s?..

Wait.. we have a ratings system? What are we rating on.. style, entertainment value, laughs generated per post..?

I'd better head over and give Phil a 5 for his ability to distil wit and sarcasm into a single biting line!

All kidding aside; it's a meaningless gimmick mate, I wouldn't read anything into it. :)

Wait.. we have a ratings system? What are we rating on.. style, entertainment value, laughs generated per post..?

I'd better head over and give Phil a 5 for his ability to distil wit and sarcasm into a single biting line!

All kidding aside; it's a meaningless gimmick mate, I wouldn't read anything into it. :)

Haha, and with that, you get five stars Daniel ;) Just kidding, not really though!

Just as an aside, I think Phil's rating of 3 stars is similarly bullshit. I disagree with him all the time, but he's definitely 5-star knowledgeable too.

While, I'd love it if the stars were for rating the wit of one's various smart-ass remarks or humorous anecdotes, or diatribes about how easy it is to convert miles per hour to feet per second whilst driving 90MPH down the Interstate, I think they can and should be used for rating the legitimacy of one's cinematic contributions here on this board.

• Premium Member

Hi Karl,

You are touching upon the value of individual posters, which on these boards vary widely. I think we all know who the 5-star posters are; people with real world cinematography experience that spend much of their personal time on these boards sharing their experiences and knowledge. There are also some academic types that post on here that I would put in the 5-star category as well just for their intelligence and resourcefulness (the late John Ptylak I would put in this category).

Then there are the students, hobbyists, still photographers, etc. Some posts are useful but there are many posters that fall in this category that post way too much in my opinion, creating a lot of noise. I wasn't aware of the star system before but perhaps it could be useful in sorting out some of this noise.

~Jason

Karl, I gave you one star once, perhaps that lowered your average rating. :P But then again, I gave you five on the basis of your technical knowledge and passion for film as a medium soon after, so that would have corrected the damage. I think I've given you a couple of fours since then. Clearly someone doesn't like you much, and I can't possibly think why. :P

Karl, I gave you one star once, perhaps that lowered your average rating. :P But then again, I gave you five on the basis of your technical knowledge and passion for film as a medium soon after, so that would have corrected the damage. I think I've given you a couple of fours since then. Clearly someone doesn't like you much, and I can't possibly think why. :P

Not that I care what you rate me in particular, but you choose to give me a rating based on your disliking me?

You're right Daniel and Jason, I shouldn't pay the slightest heed to the system :blink:

Edited by Karl Borowski

I didn't know there was a rating system on the site. All the same I have no stars. And personally I don't give a rat's ass what people rate me, or that they don't. Perhaps Daniel, Jason and I are wrong, but maybe you shouldn't care either.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

You actually give a rat's ass what your rating is? :blink:

No, I don't anymore. I guess I clicked the wrong emoticon. To correct:

You're right Daniel and Jason, I shouldn't pay the slightest heed to the system :rolleyes: or maybe :lol:

@Saul: All better!

• Premium Member
No, I don't anymore. I guess I clicked the wrong emoticon. To correct:

You're right Daniel and Jason, I shouldn't pay the slightest heed to the system :rolleyes: or maybe :lol:

@Saul: All better!

Alright, Karl. If it will make you feel better, I hereby nominate you for another star.

• Premium Member

Just gave you a star in your profile Karl, it shows up there as a four but doesn't seem to show up here. Having had a look, it seems the sustaining members don't seem to be rated (wondered why I didn't have 5 showing )

Not that I care what you rate me in particular, but you choose to give me a rating based on your disliking me?

You're right Daniel and Jason, I shouldn't pay the slightest heed to the system :blink:

Actually, you earned that one star rating from me after I read a thread on Photo.net that you participated in. I daren't join Photo.net because I know you will do everything within your power to get me banned. You were giving some poor man a read dressing-down, something over WWII, maybe. I don't really remember, these tantrums do seem to happen with considerable freqncy. Anyway, I felt bad for giving you a one star, so I gave you a five. With a personality such as yours I think three stars is really quite generous.

Actually, you earned that one star rating from me after I read a thread on Photo.net that you participated in. I daren't join Photo.net because I know you will do everything within your power to get me banned. You were giving some poor man a read dressing-down, something over WWII, maybe. I don't really remember, these tantrums do seem to happen with considerable freqncy. Anyway, I felt bad for giving you a one star, so I gave you a five. With a personality such as yours I think three stars is really quite generous.

Haha, this is really one of the funniest posts I have read all year! My rating on a cinematography forum is based on my personality rather than cinematography knowledge? :blink: Brilliant.

So if Stanley Kubrick were still alive and posting here, and he gave you the same dressing down that I've given you for posting total BS here, would you give him one star too?

So if Stanley Kubrick were still alive and posting here, and he gave you the same dressing down that I've given you for posting total BS here, would you give him one star too?

Did you just compare yourself to Stanley Kubrick?

Okay, I'm just going to go ahead and assume you did, and give you one star for that. :P

• 2 weeks later...