Arri-S On/Off Switch Mechanism Spring (need to buy)

Dustin Hicks

Alright, my Arri-S has been operating perfectly, right up until the On/Off switch quit working. Unfortunately this was on base (I'm Air Force) while I was filming. It is not the button that is not working (on the cover); that operates just fine.

I took off the cover to the switch mechanism, there is a contact that PIVOTS due to the pressure from a spring. When the button is pressed down, the spring pressure makes this contactor pivot up or down to send power on or off.

Anyway, the black pivoting piece seems to be broken but still operational, and the spring is worn.

Does an Arri tech here have a spring, and possibly the black pivot mechanism I need? I can install this myself; I just need to buy the small parts.

If I can't find this spring and little black piece, the only option I have is to drill a hole through the housing cover, through the on/off mechanism cover, and wire an on/off switch leading to the outside of the camera; I don't want to do that, but will if I have to.

Thanks ahead of time,

Dustin Hicks

• Premium Member

Dustin,

If the serial number of your camera is higher than 15,000, then you can probably still get the parts (or the larger assembly) from ARRI in New York. But be prepared for it to cost and arm and a leg. Parts for those old cameras, when available, go for a premium. The Euro vs US Dollar rate isn't helping much. The little rubber coupling that connects the front of the motor to the movement mechanism is now going for $100. For that little piece of rubber. It's insane.

Best,

-Tim

Dustin,

If the serial number of your camera is higher than 15,000, then you can probably still get the parts (or the larger assembly) from ARRI in New York. But be prepared for it to cost and arm and a leg. Parts for those old cameras, when available, go for a premium. The Euro vs US Dollar rate isn't helping much. The little rubber coupling that connects the front of the motor to the movement mechanism is now going for $100. For that little piece of rubber. It's insane.

Best,

-Tim

I would imagine that the switch mechanism would be the same in all the Arri-S types;; though mine is in the high 7000's. Fortunately I don't really need the larger assembly, as it really is just a spring. If everyone wanted $100 for a spring, I'd probably end up drilling a hole in my Arri and solder my own switch into it. That rubber piece is insane. People who wanted it could probably cut their own rubber out using a good thick piece of rubber, and a dremel tool.

Thanks for your response!

~Dustin

• Premium Member

Dustin,

If your serial number is in the 7000 range, you have an old one like mine. The switch assembly actually did change quite a bit throughout production. The biggest change happened in the mid-8000 range when the buckle switch was added to the camera and the buckle switch override was added inside the switch assembly.

Best,

-Tim