ex1 aspect ratio

Jon Rosenbloom

I'm shooting a little exercise on the ex-1, and I've found my viewfinder marker options are everything from 4:3 to 15:9, but no 16:9. WTF? Does this have something to do with the chips being 1/2"? Everything looks fine in review, it's just a little confusing. (And, I'm already confused ;).)

The chips in the EX1 are native 16:9, so it crops off the sides to do 4:3 which is why it has guides for it. It doesn't have guides for 16:9 because it would be useless since the image is 16:9.

I wish it included guides for 2.35:1 or 2.4:1, I think that would be a bit more helpful than 15:9...

Edited by Steve McBride

• Premium Member
The Arri D21 does

Hi,

I do not class the Arri D21 or Red One as a PRO video camera, my bad.

Can you name a 2/3" chip or smaller PRO or High End Video camera that has look around? The writer was implying it was a normal feature of Professionas as opposed to prosumer video cameras. It's clearly not.

Stephen

• Premium Member

This camera four forms of marker, safety-zone, center mark, aspect mark and guide frame lines. The confusion is that you are looking at the "aspect mark ratio" as "the safety zone". The camera IS a 16x9 camera. You can turn on the "safety zone" which is a picture safety marker or the "aspect marker" which is a marker for the sides only. None of this has anything to do with how the camera records.

Exactly, Walter. So, what is the point of these lines, besides distracting the operator? Most anything I shoot on one these cameras is going to be finished 16:9, so if a mike dips in, or I catch a lenser on the edge of the viewfinder, it's in the shot. Give me a little room!

Edited by Jon Rosenbloom

• Premium Member
Exactly, Walter. So, what is the point of these lines, besides distracting the operator? Most anything I shoot on one these cameras is going to be finished 16:9, so if a mike dips in, or I catch a lenser on the edge of the viewfinder, it's in the shot. Give me a little room!

I like having them for certain safety situations. Other than that that I just know the edge of the screen is the edge of the chip. But I do understand the problem if you were used to the old CRT VFs.