Lake Mungo

• Premium Member

Hi All.

Just a short broadcasting of the news that Lake Mungo will have it's north American premiere at SXSW on the ominous date of Friday the 13th of March. Lucky it's a supernatural thriller !

SXSW is held in Austin Texas.

The film was only finished last year, although I shot the film in late 2005/2006 on just about every format you can imagine. 35mm, Super 16mm, Super 8, all the way though the video formats HD and SD and a couple of mobile phones.

I'm afraid I can't make it, but I'd love to hear from anybody who gets along to the screening.

You can watch the trailers here.

Thanks !

jb

• Premium Member
Looks great John, hopefully it will screen in Melbourne sometime. The trailers a slow burner but I got a real shock at the end. Best of luck a SXSW.

Cheers mate....

It will be soon and I'll be sure to let you know when it does !!!

jb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

A bit late to the party here, but I recently watched Lake Mungo, screened for the first time on Australian free-to-air TV, and wanted to congratulate John and all involved on a fantastic film. For my money it's one of the best 'documentary' style supernatural mysteries I've seen. Why dismal trash like Paranormal Activity can get so much publicity while gems like this are overlooked is an aspect of the industry that is as disheartening as it is predictable.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes their ghost stories plausible, atmospheric and chilly as opposed to gore-filled and effects heavy. As much a meditation on loss as it is a mystery, I also thought it made excellent use of just about every format imaginable to reconstruct the story. I particularly liked the occasional interludes of beautifully shot 35mm to punctuate a mood.

There's a detailed description of the film and its making on John's blog where among other things he talks about some of the 40(!) different cameras he used:

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/lake-mungo-a-picture-never-lies/

Great stuff John!

• Premium Member

A bit late to the party here, but I recently watched Lake Mungo, screened for the first time on Australian free-to-air TV, and wanted to congratulate John and all involved on a fantastic film. For my money it's one of the best 'documentary' style supernatural mysteries I've seen. Why dismal trash like Paranormal Activity can get so much publicity while gems like this are overlooked is an aspect of the industry that is as disheartening as it is predictable.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes their ghost stories plausible, atmospheric and chilly as opposed to gore-filled and effects heavy. As much a meditation on loss as it is a mystery, I also thought it made excellent use of just about every format imaginable to reconstruct the story. I particularly liked the occasional interludes of beautifully shot 35mm to punctuate a mood.

There's a detailed description of the film and its making on John's blog where among other things he talks about some of the 40(!) different cameras he used:

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/lake-mungo-a-picture-never-lies/

Great stuff John!

Hi Dom,

Thanks for the kind words. It's great that the film seems to be finding an audience.

jb