Switar 10mm on S16 Bolex

Elliot Rudmann

Precisely what I said.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Not to nitpick, but I'd say being able to shoot at f2 (or f2.2 or f2.8) and up still makes the angenieux a solid lens and I'd be happy to use any lens that works in that range; losing 1/2 to 3/4 to 1 stop on the wide end of a faster-than-normal vintage lens isn't a deal breaker. Heck, I've tested a 25mm switar RX wide open and that didn't end up super duper either-- the image just fell apart in its own way (went all muddy and grainy if I recall).

Again, just sayin ;)

... better than the 16-100 RX poe zoom at 16mm and at the same f-stops.

The 16-100 POE isn't exactly Kerns best lens optically ... But yes, stopping down will help a lot in both cases - I have been hesitant to buy a 5.5mm aspheron for my 10mm preset since I found an element from an old sigma zoom fitted perfectly in the lens shade and gave me almost equivalent FOV and looked fine when stopped down. :lol:

Speaking of that lens shade - I wonder sometimes if it is simply the lens shade causing the vignetting on some 10mm presets, maybe an extended length shade from a 26mm has ended up on a 10mm, or they've been stacked and its simply causing a physical vignette rather than just the optical formula falling apart at the extremes (?).

There is a large 'I read it on the net so it must be true' factor when it comes to Bolex huh - aware all the while that we are adding to it right now :rolleyes:

The 16-100 POE isn't exactly Kerns best lens optically ... But yes, stopping down will help a lot in both cases - I have been hesitant to buy a 5.5mm aspheron for my 10mm preset since I found an element from an old sigma zoom fitted perfectly in the lens shade and gave me almost equivalent FOV and looked fine when stopped down. :lol:

Speaking of that lens shade - I wonder sometimes if it is simply the lens shade causing the vignetting on some 10mm presets, maybe an extended length shade from a 26mm has ended up on a 10mm, or they've been stacked and its simply causing a physical vignette rather than just the optical formula falling apart at the extremes (?).

There is a large 'I read it on the net so it must be true' factor when it comes to Bolex huh - aware all the while that we are adding to it right now :rolleyes:

When the 10mm preset is used for super16, all filter retaining rings must be removed or it will be visible in the frame as vignetting.

Unfortunately, I have found that the 5.5 Aspheron on the 10mm preset gives a vignetted image.

However, the Century adapter works well.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

When the 10mm preset is used for super16, all filter retaining rings must be removed or it will be visible in the frame as vignetting.

Unfortunately, I have found that the 5.5 Aspheron on the 10mm preset gives a vignetted image.

However, the Century adapter works well.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

I hope this isn't for all of them. sigh

• 2 years later...

Well it looks like the filter rings may be why I had severe vignetting with my first test footage. I'll try again with those off and I bet I'll see a big change.

Oddly, the previous owner has lots of nice filters for the lens, but how he used them is now baffling given what I see happening with them on the lens. He claimed not having any problems like this.

On a separate note, I've heard that gel filters are more consistent than glass anyway. Not sure if that's true, but it may be my only choice.

• 10 years later...
On 3/10/2009 at 8:41 PM, Kori Perez said:

Who is going to pay for the stock, processing, and transfer? ?

I have water footage with an ND 0.6 at F5.6... I'll post a clip or grab if interested

I will - Garrit Speiss FB/IG