a trailer shot on a eclair acl

jeroenvanderpoel

you can find the trailer on www.shoeboxproductions.nl its shot on an outdated 20meter kodak vision2 200t 16mm film, its in the tradition of the nouvelle vague movies, and you can even see a redhead reflection in the window smile.gif.

this film is shot in 5 hours and edited in 3 hours.

In three weeks we will shoot a short movie, the camera is now in the uk for a s16mm configuration.

We shot it on an eclair acl with an angenieux 15-150mm lens.

We used three red heads and one kino flo.

Absolutely LOVED the jump cuts. Titles were awesome as well, how did you make those?

We designed our own titles and pasted them in the cutting but it looked very digital, it had no grain, and it did nt moved us.

So we printed them on matted paper, i photographed them with my analog photo camera (on a smaller part of the 35mm frame to archieve a 16mm look)

I got them developed, and scanned them on my negative scanner.

I made about 15 photos from every title (of course i placed all the titles on one paper)

The cutting was a lot of work, in photoshop, but when i saw the result i was very pleased with it

you can find the trailer on www.shoeboxproductions.nl its shot on an outdated 20meter kodak vision2 200t 16mm

nice work! the look of the film and the music really does give it a new wave feel. the lighting looks very natural too. can i ask what was your light meter reading and what stop you were shooting at?

nice work! the look of the film and the music really does give it a new wave feel. the lighting looks very natural too. can i ask what was your light meter reading and what stop you were shooting at?

*Shot 1; Sarah in front of window

key; 4.0

fill (from outside the window); 2.8.-6

iris 4.0

prime 25mm

red heads are covered with half ctb, and a wratten 85 filter is used for wich we did a exposure compensation of 2/3 stop

lengte 14 seconde (shutter180#/25fps)

*Shot2 ; Seger mirror> toilet >sarah > mirror

iris 2.8-.4

lightmeter with grey card next to his face 2.8

prime 15mm

focus 2.30m

lengte 24 seconde(shutter 180#/25fps)

*shot 3; Sarah in bath-

iris 2.8-.3

key 2.8-.2 a red head bouncing from the sealing with extra cto added to it

backlight 2.8-.9 we used a extra light to give a suggestion of blue light comming from the window, because it was such a cloudy day so there was not that much light comming from the windows

fill light 2.8-.8 a kino flo

prime 15mm

focus 1.60m

length 11 seconds (shutter 180#/25fps)

*shot 4; Seger schaving

iris 2.8-.7

grey scale in front of mirror 2.8.-4 and some other readings wich i forgot to write down

prime 25

focus 2.60m

lengte 5 seconde (shutter 180#/25fps)

shot 5; slowmotion shaving

its shot at 2.8

and film run out at the moment i started the camera, and i was very excited that we could see something from that shot during telecining

its shot at 75fps

*Shot 5; Van Gogh zoom

iris 2.8

zoom 27/150mm

length 6 seconde (shutter 180#/25fps)

*shot 6; Stewardess brings the bike

iris 4.0-4

almost the same shot as the close up in the beginning

prime 17 mm

focus 3.60m

lengte 9 seconde (shutter 180#/25fps)

*shot 7; Seger en Sarah take off

informatie ontbreekt

lengte ; 27 seconde (in totaal( shutter 180#/25fps)

basically we underexposed the film by one stop because it was quite a old film, the rule of the thumb is,

that a film with a high iso rating gets fogged very fast, so a 25d film can hold its rating for years.

So i wanted to underexpose, to create an almost pushed look during telecining, we added a grey scale in the beginning,

and the film was almost 1 stop underexposed everywhere.

I hope you liked the film, this was only a trailer for our next film which will be shooted next month,

beautiful work. I loved it. How was it telecined? Love to see the next one.

we did the telecining with a marconi scanner at www.cineco.com, we scanned it at standard defenition, to dv cam, and we did the color grading with da vinci,

we wanted a very milky look, a very grainy look, so we underexposed everything with 1 stop, and gained the footage by shining less light through the negative.

greets

the next short movie will be shot in two weeks, and will be 10 minutes, we have a 1:2 ratio, so we use 2 122meter spools of outdated 320t (a very beautifull low contrast stock)

thank you