mixed lighting scenario... using location fluoros with other film units

Daniel Russel

Just come back from Gaffering a short on 35mm and one of the locations was a shop, where we used the built in fluoros as practicals/ fills with winter daylight thru shop front window and semi corrected 2.5k HMI as key/back light...

As I was called in last minute to Gaffer, no chance to do a reccie and so, working on the fly...

We - me and DP had this doubt regarding flicker from old bulbs, fairly visible and easily dealt with and also with older ballasts that might play up on the neg and perhaps impercetible to the eye...

As a backup test, we shot a wide on a Z1 set to 1/50 shutter and it looked ok - ie, no visible flicker and also stills on a DSLR to check for colour balance.

My DP watched rushes yesterday and seems ecstatic about results but I haven't seen that particular scene and was wondering if others have had similar situation to deal with before and what to expect....

Many thanks!

Dani

• Premium Member
Floros will probably either go green or cyan, I like the green/cyan of floros. Flicker shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've never noticed flicker anytime I've shot with floros-- not that it's not there, but I just don't notice it most of the time.

They're weird like that. I shot in this old school-turned-apartments that was all over the place in terms of lighting types, colors, and levels. In one hallway, the fluoro flicker was really wild to the eye and we liked it and shot a sequence passing through there largely with just the practicals. Fast forward to seeing the film and there's barely any flicker at all. The color looked great (mostly cyan with the odd tube that was ore green) but I would have liked to capture that obnoxious flicker.

They're weird like that. I shot in this old school-turned-apartments that was all over the place in terms of lighting types, colors, and levels. In one hallway, the fluoro flicker was really wild to the eye and we liked it and shot a sequence passing through there largely with just the practicals. Fast forward to seeing the film and there's barely any flicker at all. The color looked great (mostly cyan with the odd tube that was ore green) but I would have liked to capture that obnoxious flicker.

Cheers for the replies Guys...

Was very useful to have a DSLR for WB tryouts with the mixed lighting and bias to our wishes... according to the DSLR results with bare eyes....

As for flicker and other works of the devil, try this lot for a fun gadget http://www.movie-inter.com/en/products/index.html

Used it on a music video with fun results

Keep up the Fun!