Extracting Silver

• Site Sponsor

I would think just throwing your negatives straight into the fixer would do it. Then extract the silver from the fixer.

ECN will lose all of it's silver into the bleach/fix and then you can extract with a electroplating silver collector i don't think it matters if the film is exposed or not for ecn.

-Rob-

Rob is right, assuming it's colour neg. You'll need to bleach and fix, and the silver will come out into the fixer. But if the silver level builds up in the fixer, then it won't be as effective and you may get some silver reatined in the emulsion.

Electroplating will get you pure metallic silver. Once again, if you overdo the plating current you'll get silver sulphide and other impurities that will devalue the silver.

Doesn't matter if the neg is exposed or not. You get all the silver anyway.

If it's black and white negative it is a different story. You only need fixer, but if you develop the film too, it mustn't be exposed.

When you say that processing virgin neg gets you very little silver, what do you mean? How much do you expect? how are you recovering it? how are you measuring it?

• Site Sponsor

Hi Gents!

Processing virgin neg gets me nothing/very little

Well run several hundred thousand feet of 35mm ECN with the automatic silver collector running (we have a Degenkolb attached to our Treise ECN machine) and you will get pounds of silver a few hundred feet is not going to do it... volume volume volume...

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Back when Laser-Pacific opened their film lab, Emory had some medallions made from the recovered silver and gave them to the customers that Christmas. They were getting enough silver back that it was a significant line item on their books.

-- J.S.