16 or super 16 for TV?

BILLY PAUL

I am shooting tv commercials and am thinking about investing in a camera (up until now I've rented). If I am not going to blow up to 35mm, is 16mm as good as super 16 for TV?

Super16 has got a little more image to it. The only real difference I know of is the aspect ratio, and that Super16 is commonly used for DI and cut in high-def which is becoming very economical and a favorite for tv.

Well is standard 16mm just as good as Super 16mm...hmm

The short answer is yes.

16mm is about the same aspect ration as television

So if you're not finishing in 35mm

It'll work to shoot 16mm to end on a television medium.

S16 was made primarily for blow-ups to 35mm

Of course that was over 30 years ago when TV was 4:3

Television is going through an evolution to HD

And S16 works very well when transfered to HD (better than standard 16 or DV)

So if you want to be viable in the future a Super 16 camera is a better investment

To be honest 16mm is going to be a very obscure format soon

It'll only be used by students and hobbyist

And those with a special attraction to 16mm

Super 16 is now considered the professional 16mm standard

So my advice is go with the technology that will last.

But if you can't afford it, then settled for 16mm it's still pretty good & viable

• Premium Member
Well is standard 16mm just as good as Super 16mm...hmm

If you are only going to do 4x3 TV 16mm is fine.

Down the road, if you want to do 16x9 TV S16 will be better. S16 will also be better for resale, so if you are going to buy a 16mm camera, get one that can be easily be upgraded to S16 in the future.

We are just starting to do commercials on S16. You have to sell your customers on the benefits of film to make the camera pay for itself. We are in the process of making a DVD that shows how close S16 can be to 35mm for TV when done properly: (Optar Illumina Prime lenses, correct lighting, Spirit transfer to Digibeta, etc.) :)

• Premium Member

Hi,

If you're buying a camera personally, I think it's insane not to go for S16. An S16 camera is also, indirectly, an HD video camera; a standard 16 camera is just a very, very expensive-to-run SD video camera. The world wants widescreen.

Phil

Hi,

If you're buying a camera personally, I think it's insane not to go for S16. An S16 camera is also, indirectly, an HD video camera; a standard 16 camera is just a very, very expensive-to-run SD video camera. The world wants widescreen.

Phil

Wow, you guys are great. I'm new to this site. Thank you for all the advise.

bp

If budget is your primary concern, find out if your 16mm cam can be modifyied to S16 down the road, of course you will then need all new lenses, when you decide to buy a camera, you may want to do a couple of things first; find out the cameras capabilities (FPS, tap, S16, lens option, sync.) next you may want to have your head examined, I now own 3 and I know I'm nuts.....

Good luck,

JD

www.cineshooter.com

I think it comes down to one question: Do you want a 16x9 aspect ratio. I think the difference in resolution and therefore overall look is quite significant. The added resolution of super 16 when letterboxed onto video is very impressive. On many projects, I have opted for widescreen letterbox because I knew the budget only allowed for 16mm and I wanted the extra horesepower of Super.

is 16mm as good as super 16 for TV?
4x3 origination (i.e. standard 16) is dead in many parts of the world. In Europe there was an EU bounty in the 90s that paid a production subsidy to productions that shot in widescreen. Result? standard 16 is virtually unknown now. In Australia, TV series started "futureproofing" in the mid 90s so that they would have product with life in widescreen - even though TV was still all 4x3 at that stage. No-one would buy programs that weren't shot wide.

Even the majority of viewers in the US might still be watching 4x3 TV, if you have an eye for the future you'd be mad not to go for a super 16 camera.