How much do you use Fuji stocks?

Hi everyone,

I have a basic question about how much you use Fuji Stocks and most important, why.

Do you think people mostly use Kodak stocks because their marketing strategy is wider and more efficient and because we used to shoot with them at school? Or did you make a lot of test with both brands and simply prefer Kodak?

First, i thought that the fact of being an american company was very helpful but a lot of people even in Asia use it. And Japan doesn't have good relations with the rest of Asia neither so I don't know how people feel about that in South Korea, south east Asia and China.

Also, as a still photographer, I mostly use Fuji pro 160s, to me they feel a bit sharper than the Kodak's and I like how it works with the blue tones and the faces. But warm tones can feel nicer with kodak portra. And I kind of feel the same about motion picture stocks.

And you how do you feel about that? Do you mostly use Kodak because it has grown into a habit or does it simply depends on the film your working on?

Thanks,

Anthony

We have discussed this quite a lot. Check the archives for tons of info.

Kodak stocks tend to have better grain structure, particularly 16mm stocks, so they get more love from DPs. But it all depends what one is looking for, including grain structure and color rendition among other things. At the end of the day they are tools, and one chooses the right tool for the right job. Which may be completely subjective or even biased by marketing. ;)

Hi everyone,

I have a basic question about how much you use Fuji Stocks and most important, why.

Do you think people mostly use Kodak stocks because their marketing strategy is wider and more efficient and because we used to shoot with them at school? Or did you make a lot of test with both brands and simply prefer Kodak?

First, i thought that the fact of being an american company was very helpful but a lot of people even in Asia use it. And Japan doesn't have good relations with the rest of Asia neither so I don't know how people feel about that in South Korea, south east Asia and China.

Also, as a still photographer, I mostly use Fuji pro 160s, to me they feel a bit sharper than the Kodak's and I like how it works with the blue tones and the faces. But warm tones can feel nicer with kodak portra. And I kind of feel the same about motion picture stocks.

And you how do you feel about that? Do you mostly use Kodak because it has grown into a habit or does it simply depends on the film your working on?

Thanks,

Anthony

I use it a lot, for both still and motion. I do love all stocks though, Kodak is sharper. That is not to say that Fuji is not, with modern lenses in front, it can look quite slick. I guess the thing that keeps me coming back to Fuji, is the color rendition. Kodak tends to be a bit too "perfect" for me. Fuji colors are more realistic yet poetic at the same time. It really is just a matter of taste. Fuji does tend to be about 20 percent cheaper, but it is a buyers market these days.

We have discussed this quite a lot. Check the archives for tons of info.

Kodak stocks tend to have better grain structure, particularly 16mm stocks, so they get more love from DPs. But it all depends what one is looking for, including grain structure and color rendition among other things. At the end of the day they are tools, and one chooses the right tool for the right job. Which may be completely subjective or even biased by marketing. ;)

I'm sorry Saul if I'm repeating things that have been said a lot here before. Also, and I may not be clear in my question, I was also wondering how this use of Kodak / Fuji was a choice or a habit of the market. Don't really know for the US nor for Asia but in Europe and in my case in france, we work in most schools with Kodak stocks because of partnerships and we have to deal with people from this company that are incredibly nice and helpful for students. So most of us are happy with our work with them, feeling confident with the stocks and simply continuing to shoot with that. I've met some very good DoP from other countries in Europe that never worked with Fuji stocks while at school (and the best schools). And I think that's a shame because it offers as you said more tools for us.

Me neither I didn't know those stocks before and learned to love Fuji with stills, so that's why I'm curious about that now :) . Like you Chris I really appreciate their color rendition, more naturalistic to me.