Not Bad

Sam C Roberts

Shot for four hours outdoors with the RED One in -20 degree Celsius temps. on the weekend. Camera performed well except the viewfinder kept switching to RAW view all by itself. Camera had no blankets or covers on it. RED batteries held up very well. No other problems. Built like a tank.

• Premium Member

Shot for four hours outdoors with the RED One in -20 degree Celsius temps. on the weekend. Camera performed well except the viewfinder kept switching to RAW view all by itself. Camera had no blankets or covers on it. RED batteries held up very well. No other problems. Built like a tank.

I generally don't have problems with digital cameras in the cold, other than with batteries -- they tend to be natural heat-generators. Although very wet & cold, freezing sleet conditions can muck up electronics.

I've been wondering how that camera would hold up in sub zero conditions considering the whole thing is conducive.

A few years back I was a 1st AC on a feature that was shot in North Dakota during it's coldest winter since 1938. I think the average was -40ºF, and the film was primarily EXT. The first day of principle photography the Letus Ultimate flip module condensed so much that the mirrors shattered! From thence forth we opted to use the Sony EX1 all on it's lonesome when possible outside.

I'm glad you fared much better!

P.S.

The film is called Prairie Love and was selected to feature as part of the NEXT category at this year's Sundance Film Fest.

• 3 weeks later...