Walter Murch on 3d

Damien Andre

So he is using all digital footage to compile the final film, albeit at a higher resolution than what he was working with in the edit, and burning to film is an unnecessary, lossy, generation of copying.

Maybe there's some argument that going digital->film->projection results in a more pleasing image than going straight digital->projection.

Well burning to film is obviously neccassary in the sense that it needs to be burnt back to film for theatres with film projectors to show it!!

Resolution is usually lost however it gets projected, whether that is a 2k digital projection or a film based projection, it is what it is, but as I already pointed out resolution is not the only issue. There are other issues with projecting 2d content on 3d screens.

Anyway, my point was that people who aren't into 3d projection will still have to watch their 2d content on the 3d screens because that is what is installed now.

As to whether Walter Murch likes digital projection or not who can say!!???

Walter Murch himself I guess, but you can't assume anything about his projection preference based on the fact he edits digitally for all the reasons I have outlined.

love

Freya

I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense. . . If you are seeing projected film, how else is he going to get it to your theatre but burn it back onto film?

I was talking about projecting it digitally:

I'd have to assume Walter Murch approves of them because he edits his films digitally and can avoid at least one generational loss of quality by having them projected digitally instead of burned back to film.

Freya's right that he could use a proxy workflow, editing using digital files and having his edits recreated using just film, effectively avoiding any use of digital in what gets onto the screen.

I don't think that happens very much anymore though.