NX5

Jon Amerikaner

Noticed no posts on the NX5.

What are your thoughts on the NX5?

I found it to be a great video camera with one major flaw. The iris closes down to 3.4 on the far end of the zoom. This makes it a frustrating choice for cinematographer and videographers working in low-light or looking for a shallow depth-of-field.

I know Sony is working on an NX with interchangeable lenses. Until then I can't figure out why they went with this lens choice on the NX5.

Your experiences on the NX5?

• Premium Member

I've used it. It's ok I suppose. I like the EX series a hell of a lot more, The servos on the lens controls feel a bit slow to me. The HD-SDI output is 1080i, or at least I couldn't figure out how to get it to 1080p. The hard drive recording is quick an easy. But to me this camera feels like something which might be very useful for documentaries if you're all alone and need to go small/light, but I'd not want to take it out too often on any narrative or commercial work. Some industrials, fine, but there are much better cameras out there in the same range.

I've used it. It's ok I suppose. I like the EX series a hell of a lot more, The servos on the lens controls feel a bit slow to me. The HD-SDI output is 1080i, or at least I couldn't figure out how to get it to 1080p. The hard drive recording is quick an easy. But to me this camera feels like something which might be very useful for documentaries if you're all alone and need to go small/light, but I'd not want to take it out too often on any narrative or commercial work. Some industrials, fine, but there are much better cameras out there in the same range.

Love the EX series too. I am fortunate to be doing an MFA where I can get my hands on various cameras (z1, ex1&3, 5d, nx). As someone who started in documentaries/TV news and continues to shoot docs, the iris is still a major flaw. The lens on the camera is simply flawed...I can go on about it forever like a focus ring that has no end.

I am looking to purchase a NX5 too. I shoot weddings and need to upgrade my kit. As always budget is an issue leaving me with choices such as the NX5 and Z5 from Sony, Panasonic HMC151 and Canon XHA1s. It seems that the NX5 offers the best features from all those cameras. Solid state recording with the 128gb flash drive. Best low light performance of those cameras. Newer technology. Still need to have a play with the camera hopefully sometime this week and then make an informed choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to purchase a NX5 too. I shoot weddings and need to upgrade my kit. As always budget is an issue leaving me with choices such as the NX5 and Z5 from Sony, Panasonic HMC151 and Canon XHA1s. It seems that the NX5 offers the best features from all those cameras. Solid state recording with the 128gb flash drive. Best low light performance of those cameras. Newer technology. Still need to have a play with the camera hopefully sometime this week and then make an informed choice.

So I've used this camera a few times on some graduate shorts and docs. I think it's a good choice, but I still prefer the EX line. (I'm getting married soon, and one of the selling points of the videographer, in addition to his great work, is that he uses an EX)

In addition to the 3.4 iris, definitely an issue in low-light, I'd say another draw back to this handheld camera is that it is heavy. So you will need a support system for those long nights.

Curious to hear your thoughts after working with it.

• 4 months later...

I've played around with it in one multi-camera shoot, and cam to the same conclusion as always - the first camera in any series of cameras sony makes are heavily flawed. unfortunately. It offers great features, but i would choose different camera for this. ergonomics are odd, you can get lost in menus, etc. z5, z7 especially is grate camera, ex1/ex3 is even better. depends from your taste. For long time I used PD170 and still use because for an ancient camera it is you can can get superb results if you learn some tricks in post. nx5 codec is heavy for post, even my system is quite good I have to work with proxies to get in the speed I like to work.

if you really need the tapeless workflow, nx5 is your answer, I would prefer z5 or z7, if i can't get ex3 for wedding / documentary film, for ergonomics I would go to JVC ProHD series witch I love to use, but the low light nonperformance of JVC renders it useless for the wedding documentary.

sorry for my chaotic comments - my resume, rent the cameras you would like to by and try them, witch ever works the best for you, compare the footage by yourself, etc.

• Premium Member

Were I going to go out and buy a camera these days I might look into the Panasonic AF101. 4/3rd chip for DoF Control but not too much as to require a 1AC. Interchangeable lenses if you'd like them. Ok Codec. Can tweak the images in camera (and have to IMHO as out of the box, like all panasonics it's a bit.... well.. not right to my taste) and relatively affordable. Plus it using SD cards like the NX5 allows for cheaper tapeless media. It's almost the point where you can use the SD cards just like MiniDV tape and, if you ever need one you can but them @ a rite aid or walgreens or what have you (unlike the SxS cards which I think are much better as well as more expensive...)

• 6 months later...

Just wrapped a music video where our primary camera was a Sony FS100 with Nikon Primes. We rigged a Sony NEX 5n next to it with an adapter for the Nikon primes too. Side by side, and with no panning, most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Panning shows skew issues, but nothing that can't be worked around. I'll be using the 5n next week as a "director's viewfinder" for some pre-viz stuff, and we'll probably play around with some crazier rigging for it on the next gig. We had it inside at around 60 degrees for the first day with one overheating instance, but the next day we were shooting outside at negative 20, no overheating issue than. HA. I wouldn't trust it for any serious work, but it's an interesting piece of gear.