What's up w/ camera prices?

Doyle Smith

The current LA Craigslist has a Super16XTR pkg w/ Ang zoom and two mags for $3000. There is a Aaton 35-III pkg (no lenses) but 4 mags for $11K. Not as surprising is a 16LTR w/ Zeiss 10-100 (and I assume at least two mags) for $8k.

Admittedly I have been pretty far out of the loop but is actual production on film so moribund that film camera prices have sunk this low?? The 35 is very tempting at that price but I'm not sure the current market would support it.

What are your thoughts, Hobson??

Edited by Doyle Smith

• 1 month later...

I think you would be surprised how low things, especially the one week auctions really are. I have seen Super-16mm and recently a 35mm techniscope Eclair go for 1800. However, I wouldn't say it's crashing so that your beautiful Aaton camera will one day be sold in a yard sale for $50. Film, especially 16mm has transitioned from a production workhorse to a enthusiast/purist format which will be around as long as there is factory fresh film, processing labs and transfer labs.

I would also say that widescreen, well maintained cameras with proof of service are worth 5-10 times the value of identical systems still in the regular 16mm format. Regular 16mm cameras are dropping in value very fast, they are moving into the realm of antiques and props. There are so many nice systems floating around now from DP's who have moved to digital, that most people who still push the 16mm format, will have a super 16mm, or ultra 16mm system. It will continue to drop, but until film stops being made, and then a few years after that, Super 16mm cameras will hold some value and I think the current market is around where it's going to stay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I picked up a wonderful Steve's Cine converted Arri 2C for super cheap recently. I love it. 35mm short ends and recans are plentiful as well so as Evan says, the enthusiast has much to work with these days. I actually just used it on a paying gig for the first time and the client was crazy excited by the results.