Arriflex 16S Book

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Hi Everyone,

I am developing a book on the Arriflex 16S camera and I am asking anyone who is interested to drop me an email to let me know what you would like to see in the book. The book will go into great detail about how the camera works, and I will do a step by step disassembly of the camera and then a rebuild, showing how the cameras were built at the factory. There will be many pictures and descriptions of how each assembly works and how the ARRI craftsmen hand made each individual camera.

So if there are things that you'd like to make sure the book covers, please drop me an email.

Best,

-Tim

My Email

• 1 month later...

Will this be a manual on how to rebuild the camera, or a book on the history of the camera?

If the latter, I would like to see a section on specialized uses like extreme cold weather set up, very long focus optics, astrophotography, etc.

Tim.

I do hope that you will be able to proceed with the idea of publishing a book on the Arri 16S.

I would imagine that the ideal would be a book which is balanced between what I will call the technical side of things and the historic side.

As you know, it is still possible to get these cameras serviced, but this will very likely become more and more difficult. So I feel that the more you can include about the construction of the camera - the inner assembly and working of the camera, with details of the various models, etc., supported by photographs of assembly and the inner workings- the more the book would become an essential for anyone owning a 16S. This might usefully include information on basic servicing for those owners who are not able to easily access professional servicing, and accessories which can be used.

Another section which I feel would be of great interest would be user advice - along the lines of how to get the best results from the camera.

Finally, the historic side of things would. I feel, complete the "picture".

As you know, Andrew Alden, here in the UK, published an excellent book on Bolex 16mm cameras. I would suggest to you that the contents and format of that book would generally indicate the sort of material which, I am sure, would be of great interest to those who own and use a 16S or just have an interest in the development of "movie cameras" generally, since this particular camera was so important and was so influential.

Best regards.

• 2 months later...