Head Cleaners

Korhan20

I've been reading on some other forums that the panasonic head cleaner can actually damage the heads and cost you a lot more than if you took it in to a servicer to get them cleaned. Has any one ever had problems with using the head cleaner on this camera?

Any head cleaner is possible of damaging VTR heads if run too frequently. As for the Panasonic issue, I really wouldn't worry about it - if the cleaner damages heads after just one use, I can't see how it wouldn't have been discontinued or fixed by now.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Apparently it weares the heads down. From what I have read, using a tape cleaner once a month is adequate.

Although if you keep the camera safe (i.e. in a bag) it should never be a problem.

From my experience in using the PD-150, we've never used a tape cleaner yet. Stanard fuji MiniDV stock. And no digital errors yet.

Use the same tape stock all the time, and you'll likely have no problems, if you shoot in favorable conditions. However, if you shoot hard-core stuff, sports, etc., it'll likely become a problem. It's really tough in Studio situations, when you have tapes moving from camera to camera, VTR to VTR. If you have just one camera though, it should be simple to keep up with it. Clean maybe once a month, and it'll be fine.